What do you pay for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

effingpot

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
Honourary Brit here. I'm due an oil change on my 5.4L V8 and it seems expensive. In my local (UK) garages I've been quoted £80 ($102) and £122 ($155) if I supply the filter! To be fair it's 5.7L of engine oil. On amazon.co.uk the oil alone costs about £50 so the £80 deal doesn't seem so bad! I seem to recall when I lived in the USA it was way cheaper, and basically a drive-through experience for around half of the money! That was a few years ago though.

What do you USA based folks pay for the same thing?
cheers
Mike

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2004 Expedition with standard tires provided plenty of room to perform oil/filter changes without jacking the truck. Just slid a piece of cardboard for ease of movement under the truck, and it took just a few minutes.

Now, at 88, with very limited driving, oil changes are a thing of the past.

Don't know your Expedition model year, or the type of oil being used, but at 63, you
should fit nicely under the vehicle to change oil/filter.

To answer your US cost question, Valvoline (was Oil Can Henry's) charges $39 - $89
depending on type of oil, and quantity. Coupons are readily available ($7 - $10).

Costco has periodic sales 6 quarts Mobile-1 for $31 ($10 off).

OP
OP
effingpot

effingpot

Reaction score
Don, Since I can get oil easily and have filters I was wondering about just doing it myself. Can't be that hard right? I have an impossible 2015 XLT 5.4L V8 but the holes are in the same place I reckon!
I hate the thought of being ripped. Disposing of used oil here is not that easy though - a bit regulated to ensure it's not dumped!
$39-89 is a bargain! :)
We do have Costco in the UK but haven't looked at their oil costs - good idea though!
cheers
Mike

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
.....Since I can get oil easily and have filters I was wondering about just doing it myself. ......

Mike, absolutely do the change yourself. You will need a filter cap tool (photo) that is driven by a ⅜" socket wrench to remove the filter, and a funnel for the oil. Make sure the filter tool fits the filter.
There are several sizes.

A shallow oil catch pan is desired, available at most auto shops
(see photo below).

The filter cap fits over the bottom of the filter. Many choices available. Caution: do not over tighten the filter. Most just require secure hand tightening. Check for leaks when finished.

Many gas stations/auto shops will recycle oil. Check with the local stations/shops.

Shallow oil change pan:

3SrkKxt.png

Mc2ml9o.png

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do it yourself. It's really easy on the 5.4L V8. No need to jack it up and everything is easy to reach. The only part where I occasionally find myself fiddling around a bit is getting the new filter started. I don't know what your options for disposal are in the UK, but here in the US a lot of the auto parts stores allow me to dump up to 5 gallons in 1 trip. I just drain it, dump it into a 5-gal water jug and bring it down to the store after a couple oil changes.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I buy A 6 qt. case of Mobil 1 5w-30 Full synthetic on sale at Costco for $28.00 and a FL820S MOTORCRAFT filter from Advance Auto Parts for $8.50 .... with 6% sales tax that = $38.69 then I take the waste oil back to Advance and dump for free.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same, Costco Mobil 1 when on sale for the $28, My father in law and I buy the FL820S filters by the case for under $4 a pop. $32+tax is hard to beat for a full synthetic oil change. I'm sure pricing is significantly different over there but surely considerably less than those shop prices.

I just slide under the expedition, as long as you havent had too many beers in life you should fit without a jack. I do, just barely. Lol. I wish I could do that with the navigator but with the air ride I dont trust it. I can turn it off after being pumped up but should something fail I become the airbag, no thanks.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same, Costco Mobil 1 when on sale for the $28, My father in law and I buy the FL820S filters by the case for under $4 a pop. $32+tax is hard to beat for a full synthetic oil change. I'm sure pricing is significantly different over there but surely considerably less than those shop prices.

I just slide under the expedition, as long as you havent had too many beers in life you should fit without a jack. I do, just barely. Lol. I wish I could do that with the navigator but with the air ride I dont trust it. I can turn it off after being pumped up but should something fail I become the airbag, no thanks.
Where/Who do you buy the case of MOTORCRAFT filters from?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always do it yourself. My oil changes on the Excursion I had for 12 years were about $6 plus the filter, total. I got the oil from garage sales and mixed it all but the v-10 still ran great at 200k miles when I sold it. Can you beat that ????????no. :emotions33: