What does a loose spark plug sound like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't let pep or any other shop like that touch a vehicle let alone look at it. I would take it to a Ford dealership before them and I never go to a stealership...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 valves do make that sound and the plugs do loosen, they have enough threads it won’t blow out like a 2 valve but they make noise. Pull all your COPS. An offending boot will have soot on it and smell like gas. I had 4 come loose. They aren’t torqued down in the back 2 a lot and loosen. FordTechMakuloco has a video on the loosening plugs on the 5.4 3V, almost always after a plug change because a torque wrench wasn’t used. (You can’t use one on a few of them have to go snug by feel). People always mistake it for a rod knock lol.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 valves do make that sound and the plugs do loosen, they have enough threads it won’t blow out like a 2 valve but they make noise. Pull all your COPS. An offending boot will have soot on it and smell like gas. I had 4 come loose. They aren’t torqued down in the back 2 a lot and loosen. FordTechMakuloco has a video on the loosening plugs on the 5.4 3V, almost always after a plug change because a torque wrench wasn’t used. (You can’t use one on a few of them have to go snug by feel). People always mistake it for a rod knock lol.
Bang on. What he said.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found a low mileage differential on ebay from LKQ and got it installed this weekend from a family friend. Noise is gone. NEw ISSUE: fluid is leaking out of the driver side axle shaft hole after I park. Is there a gasket/seal that I should have replaced while it was off? Did they overfill it?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The longer you run it with issues the more damage will be done and the more it will cost to repair, although I cant imagine it costing 4K even if you replaced all the bearings and gears in the housing.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found a low mileage differential on ebay from LKQ and got it installed this weekend from a family friend. Noise is gone. NEw ISSUE: fluid is leaking out of the driver side axle shaft hole after I park. Is there a gasket/seal that I should have replaced while it was off? Did they overfill it?
Should have replaced both axle seals and bearings, while everything was apart, both cheap Items, especially the seals.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should have replaced both axle seals and bearings, while everything was apart, both cheap Items, especially the seals.
They said they overfilled it, not sure how that is even possible but whatever. I opened the fill port last night and raised one side to drain a little out (I wasn't on level ground). I'll see in the next few days if there is still some leaking out before taking it to a shop.