What does a Tune Up include and cost these days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must have never seen a 2003 5.4 engine to make that statement. The rear plugs are buried and very difficult to change. They go under the firewall. It would take a lot longer than 20 minutes to change the plugs, coils and wires on a regular engine let alone a 2003 5.4. Do some research before you comment.

Longer than 20 minutes, but not much. My untrained 16-year-old self did them all in under 2 hours many years ago.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swivels, extensions, and good ratchets make all the difference

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The "tune-up" includes whatever the dealer wants it to include. Generally it means spark plugs and an air filter. The price isn't bad. Dealers in New York change much more to change to plugs on that engine. It's a bear of a job.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 03 Eddie Bauer and the back plugs are a nightmare to change. I bought my own wires, coils and plugs for around $200 and my mechanic put them in for $300. If you are talking about a 2003 5.4, I don't think $400 is a bad price from a dealer. Comments welcome.

How did you buy wires for a 2003?? They dont have wires! Every plug is a coil over. thats a confusing statement...

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took me about an total to do my plugs and coil packs this past summer. I did Bosch Iridium plugs and new generic coil packs off Amazon for about $35/set shipped to me, runs perfect! I understand people say why replace them if they arent bad. But, mine were factory coil packs and had 180k plus on them. So, I changed them. Now have 200k plus on it and it runs great still!

BTW, plugs only need to be changed every 100K, if you run Plats or Iridiums.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took me about an total to do my plugs and coil packs this past summer. I did Bosch Iridium plugs and new generic coil packs off Amazon for about $35/set shipped to me, runs perfect! I understand people say why replace them if they arent bad. But, mine were factory coil packs and had 180k plus on them. So, I changed them. Now have 200k plus on it and it runs great still!

BTW, plugs only need to be changed every 100K, if you run Plats or Iridiums.

I should not have listed wires. My mistake. By the way how long did it take you.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took me about an hour to do it. I use 2 short 3/8" extensions to do the back plugs. put one on the socket, slide in the hole, then attach the other one while holding the first one up, let it go down, then attach the ratchet. the passenger side is harder than the drivers side. I also had to remove the power steering reservoir bracket. Its a relatively easy job, just have to be patient. Dont forget dielectric grease for the Coil overs.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
once upon a time, I did tuneups in 30 minutes from start to finish, including washing my hands after. that was before detroit starting producing assemblies that require an engine to be pulled just to get to the plugs. that POS of shit was a little chevy coupe that was widely considered one of their worst cars. I thought it was just an aberration then, but now it seems more and more manufacturers are finding value in sticking the back of the block under, or in, the firewall where it can't be reached without a space warp. whatever it's worth to them, it's not a good thing.