What does your MPG look like with your EX when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grizguy

Reaction score
Gen 4 2019 MAX.. tow pkg.. I normally get 18 to 19 MPG on the interstate at 80.. 85 mph even 90. Put a 12 ft v nose and the milage drops to 8.0 .. 8.3 empty or loaded at 70 MPH. It will pull the trailer O K but the milage sucks. I don't understand. Only weighs several hundred pounds. I can pick it up and push it around. Not like the old V 8s

Reaction score
2017 Limited, HD tow, 3.5 Eco boost
Just finished a 7500 mi trip towing 26’ TT from WA to PA and down to TX and finally AZ. Trailer comes in at about 6K on the scales. Cruise speed is 60-63.
Expedition averaged 9.4 by the computer over the entire trip. W/O the trailer I averaged right at 20mpg from AZ to WA (1550 miles) following speed limits that ranged from 65-80 mph.

billyrides

Reaction score
If it helps, I’m on the light side of the group with my trailer. I have a small utility trailer that I haul two kayaks with and a couple of truck boxes with our gear. I drop 2-2.5 mpg the instant the trailer hits the Expedition. Now way around it except being super conscientious when it comes to using the gas pedal on hills and while merging. I’ll gain steam while going downhill to keep out of the gas on the uphill. Otherwise I can easily drop 3-4 mpg.

Michael McC

Reaction score
As little as 5-6 at 70 against 20mph headwind with no other traffic. 2-horse trailer. Same mpg empty or with horses. It just doesn't accelerate as well. I have a 2" lift which doesn't help.

Edit--mine is not an EX

The amount of traffic has a huge effect on mpg. When in heavy traffic my pedal is 2" higher off the floor than on the open road.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03 4x4 Eddie bauer w 3.73 HD tow - w a 4k trailer and load, 8x12 enclosed I saw minimal loss on a 150mi trip, mixed city/hwy, I averaged 13.2 vs the high 15s I usually see. I was hauling furniture and the route was very close to my daily work commute, but w 2 runs.

The one time I towed a boat for the in laws from indy to Dale Hollow, 21' Caravelle w a road cover and twin axle trailer it was more like 9.5-10mpg. I probably could have made it there on fumes but obviously a bad idea when towing and already knew of a sizable station to stop at about 75mi from my destination. That was around 4400lbs if I recall w trailer weight and gear in the boat. The back roads once getting off the hwy really killed it. Many curves and speed changes. The trip was made at typical speeds, 65-70mph hwy and probably averaged 40ish on surface roads.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finished a trip from NY to FL with open car trailer weighing 6500 loaded and alot of gear in the truck. 2017 Expedition Limited with HD tow 3:31 rear.

Normal around town mileage (regular) 15mpg
Normal highway / trip mileage (premium) 20mpg
Normal highway / trip mileage (regular) 18mpg
Towing mileage 70 / 75 mph (premium) 12mpg