What is "EL" and how do I know if mine is EL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4. It has the 7 passenger third row seating. When looking at things online I see mention of an "EL" version. Are they all EL? Is mine EL? Does the third row seating mean it's EL? Mine is the U18 VIN code, if that helps.

Last edited:

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
EL is the extended length version of the Expy. 4th Gen calls them MAX but its the same concept. I do believe there should be a specific EL on the rear hatch label like this.

e8XxXgKcu8ETWxPbQ8odMNODNjMb64AKj57EyX1zw&usqp=CAc.jpg

Oh and as far as I know the only Expy's without the third row are the XL's and they come in both long and short versions.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4. It has the 7 passenger third row seating. When looking at things online I see mention of an "EL" version. Are they all EL? Is mine EL? Does the third row seating mean it's EL? Mine is the U18 VIN code, if that helps.

In your VIN the numbers would tell you also. The "EL" long wheel base models have a "Kxx" for their 5,6,7, digits ( like K17 or K18 for the EL Eddie Bauer ...). Whereas the regular wheel base models have a "Uxx" for digits 5,6,7 ( like U17 or U18 for the Eddie Bauer...).

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/vin-guides/VIN2007.pdf

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those that don't have access to the VIN or can't see it, it's simple. Look at the back doors. If the door has a cutout for the wheelwell, it's not an EL. If the door is straight on the back side, it's an EL. To me, the easiest way to tell at a glance is the back glass. If it's long, EL, short glass=not EL.

How I tell, anyway. This also equates to the Navigator L and the newer Max trucks, same principle, just the wording is different.

Here's a couple of pics to help you tell at a glance:

Regular wheelbase Expy:
fjkjXno.png

Expy EL:
kzD0DAY.png

You can see what I meant by the wheel well being a part of the rear doors on the standard length truck, and the differences in the rear side glass panels.

Last edited:

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I always look at the back doors to tell the difference. The EL is actually a fair amount longer than a regular and has a bit better ride I think.C7DAB95C-DD34-4CB1-84ED-5A2B9900AEC1.jpeg779A6386-703D-4C30-8DA9-95298D34D286.jpeg