What is the best year Expedition to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm partial to the 2nd Gen. We have an 03 expy and navigator and both have been excellent. The expy was purchased w 205k on It and is coming up on 233k with nothing put into it aside from routine maintenance.

The navigator has been the same although it has half the miles and we've only put about 4k miles on it since purchasing last spring. It's due for some gas struts on the rear hatch...that thing is extremely heavy and is power as well so I'm sure they get a workout because my wife really likes that feature.

If I were to buy in your year range I'd snag a '17. While the 1st gen ecoboost may be a negative almost everything else seems to be more reliable than the 4th gen. I can't tell you how any threads I've seen with random, yet pricey/time consuming failures. I'd imagine you'd also get a much more attractive price being its the previous generation and everyone likes to have shiny new models.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I'm biased. I have a 2017 that I purchased used and it's been great for the 50,000 miles I put on it. While the 4th gen has some nice upgrades...10 speed, tilt seats, smarter cruise control, etc, I hear of too many issues with blown struts and cam phasers. To date, I've only done routine maintenance, a blower resistor, and a throttle body on my 2017. I'm not sure if Ford had teething problems, supply chain issues, or what, but it seems like the first few years of the 4th gen had some issues. Now people are complaining about rust on the 2021 F150. I guess that adage about not buying the first year of a new model may have some truth to it. At this rate, I'll upgrade to a 2021 when the next gen comes out.

F150 is made of aluminum which doesn’t rust.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just look for one with spark plug dings in the hood. It's had the Heli-coils installed in the plug holes already.
I do love my 2 valve in my work van. I run the hell out of it and it just obeys. I have had plugs finger tight on tune up time but never had one come through the dog house yet. I change them every 70,000 to be safe.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Just look for one with spark plug dings in the hood. It's had the Heli-coils installed in the plug holes already.

Not mine. 222,*** miles and running strong. I believe Ford went to a different plug so that is ancient history unlike the ecobooms.

Conrad Penner

Reaction score
You can’t go wrong if it’s an expedition. They are a fantastic driving people movers with many options and levels of creature comfort. I’ve owned 4 ELs so far. 2-2007, 2012 and currently a 2017. It was hard going away from a proven v8. The power of the ecoboost is great but comes with its own idiosyncrasies. But so does everything. I’ve done miriads of different mods through the years and enjoyed doing them all. Love to tinker. And to be honest I can’t say my 17 eco is any better on fuel then my 12 with the 5.4. But the 17 clearly has more power. No competition there. I could go on and on but will stop there.....for now

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own a 2010 Explorer and love it. Looking to upgrade to a newer Expedition - thinking of 2016 to 2019. Which year should i buy and why?

After having owned a 09 nav and 18 expy, and have driven an expy in all forms in all gens, I have to say the 18 was my fav. It handles like a car, rides well, has way more space than the 3rd gen(all previous gens), gets great fe (if u drive it right), and a thing the other gen owners won't admit, has way more comfy seats. If you want dependability, pre refresh 3rd gens are your best bet. But if you want a truck you can have fun with but still be completely comfy, 4th gen is on a whole nother level. My 09 only had a messed up driver window motor and blown headlight ballast, which it had before I bought. Other than that, it was a tank and I actually miss it the most. The 18 I had was one of the first built, and had small little niggles, like a popping mirror and bt dropping, but other than that, no issues whatsoever.