What is the best year Expedition to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinB

Reaction score
I owned a 2008 expy with the V8 and changed it to a 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost... the difference in power is way greater then I anticipated. this thing fly compare to the old v8.
There are a ton of these ecoboost on the road now and they are pretty reliable. lots of them have hundreds of thousand of miles on them.
If you purchase a new vehicle then you worrie about the first year of production. if you purchase used then the kinks should be out of them and the first year production is not has important. mine works like a champ.

Just has a note, their was not a single recall on the 2015 expedition. it was closely based on the 2014 so pretty solid not a full redesign.

Yes I did put a catch can on mine and a aFe cold air intake

Plati

Reaction score
I owned a 2008 expy with the V8 and changed it to a 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost... the difference in power is way greater then I anticipated. this thing fly compare to the old v8.
There are a ton of these ecoboost on the road now and they are pretty reliable. lots of them have hundreds of thousand of miles on them.
If you purchase a new vehicle then you worrie about the first year of production. if you purchase used then the kinks should be out of them and the first year production is not has important. mine works like a champ.

Just has a note, their was not a single recall on the 2015 expedition. it was closely based on the 2014 so pretty solid not a full redesign.

Yes I did put a catch can on mine and a aFe cold air intake
You said "this thing fly ..." so you must be stepping on the gas. Given that, how is the gas mileage comparison? Does the improved mpg rating go down the tube if you utilize the available power? City driving not interstate. An apples to apples comparison.

MartinB

Reaction score
You said "this thing fly ..." so you must be stepping on the gas. Given that, how is the gas mileage comparison? Does the improved mpg rating go down the tube if you utilize the available power? City driving not interstate. An apples to apples comparison.

Unfortunatly I cannot compare the two very well. my old truck was a regular wheel base and the new one is a platinum EL so it weight more and have a larger fuel tank. the feeling at the pump is more expensive... but you tend to forget that its less often... So far I do not notice a big difference but the computer is telling me a few miles per gallon less overall with the new one. I saw a difference in power and consumption with my aFe cold air filter... (may its psycological).. now I am now a crazy driver flooring it all the time but when I want to pass I like the power of my new one. I would not go back.

I did have a lot of issue with spark plug with the old Triton V8.. That engine was not the best ford engine out there... you needed to treat it very well or issue would arise with timing chain. spark plug had to be changed yearly to ovoid braking them in the block. I had a spark plug brake while driving. it was the weirdest thing. These are special spark plug and not cheap to replace...

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly I cannot compare the two very well. my old truck was a regular wheel base and the new one is a platinum EL so it weight more and have a larger fuel tank. the feeling at the pump is more expensive... but you tend to forget that its less often... So far I do not notice a big difference but the computer is telling me a few miles per gallon less overall with the new one. I saw a difference in power and consumption with my aFe cold air filter... (may its psycological).. now I am now a crazy driver flooring it all the time but when I want to pass I like the power of my new one. I would not go back.

I did have a lot of issue with spark plug with the old Triton V8.. That engine was not the best ford engine out there... you needed to treat it very well or issue would arise with timing chain. spark plug had to be changed yearly to ovoid braking them in the block. I had a spark plug brake while driving. it was the weirdest thing. These are special spark plug and not cheap to replace...

Spark plugs need to be retorqued every year, not replaced. They come loose WAY before they blow out.

MartinB

Reaction score
Spark plugs need to be retorqued every year, not replaced. They come loose WAY before they blow out.

My old 2008 I purchased used. when i tried to get them changed i was told they were extremely difficult to change and 3 broke in the block (which was not an isolated case on the Triton engine... actually very common) the truck was only at 65k miles at the time. To ovoid that you need to replace them every year so they don't get jammed in the block .. you may want to remove and reinstall but since I remove... I replace...

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The change to normal plugs happened in October 2008, so many 2008's have the normal plugs that change without a problem. You can Google the engine date of the change...

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016/2017 - If you're after CarPlay/Android Auto

2016's are the first year you can get CarPlay/Android Auto (it requires a quick mod and software upgrade), 2017's have it enabled by default.

Also depends on how picky you are about some things...see below

My Pros
- CarPlay/Android Auto capable
- Still the box body (not the new sloped look)
- Real shifter (not the dial thing)
- LED fog lights
- Sony audio (I think sounds slightly better than the B&O, but that's just me)
- No auto start/stop (although you can permanently disable this on the newer models, thankfully)
- Ambient lighting

My Cons
- Turbo 6 only...no 8 option. (Admittedly, the turbo is fun though. Catch can is your call; I've read countless theads)
- Uses the previous gen turbo 6 with direct injection only. The newer port/direct injection models do run more smoothly, at least from my experience.
- No HID/LED headlight option, but does have projector lenses. (I've modded with HIDs, very happy with results)
- No chrome wheels from the factory (I've replaced with custom chromed OEM rims)
- No cabin air filter (still don't know why this wasn't a thing)
- No LED interior or exterior lighting (Fogs excluded; I've replaced all my bulbs, very happy with those)
- Older style instrument cluster
- No Telematics (i.e. cellular remote start. There was a Ford authorized mod for this which I had, but they discontinued it due to ATT's sunsetting of 3G service)

I did a write up on what I observed when I rented a 2018...might be helpful.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...thoughts-from-a-2016-owner.40202/#post-354768

I've had 2 V-10 Excursions

I'm looking for a V10 Excursion Limited 4x4 (2005 if possible) as a second truck. But finding a decently priced one (ex. I found a 2005 with 86k on it that a dealer wants 32k for...LOL) that hasn't been beat to hell is really difficult I'm finding. I've also heard rumors of a 2021 Excursion...we'll see.

Last edited:

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt that very much, in addition to there being zero public documentation of such a vehicle in development. Ford would do that to either goose their truck sales (already #1) or make just an obscene amount of money (meaning it would probably go north of $100k each).