What is your average MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, this is really interesting. We are definitely seeing some different MPGs reported from both the 5.4L and 3.5L Ecoboost owners.

All things being equal, I personally suspect that the Achilles' heel of the later models is the non-replaceable in-tank fuel filter. I've had significant mileage and engine idle improvements on my previous cars / trucks whenever an old fuel filter was replaced with a new one.

The newer Expeditions no longer have this part serviceable, which is beyond stupid... you can only change it when your fuel pump clogs up and dies, essentially.

FWIW - I lost my mind when I had to replace the fuel pump on my F150 and was charged over 300 for it. I remember R&R fuel pumps on my first car, for about 18 dollars. I looked it up; turns out fuel injection requires high pressure, which requires a high pressure pump, which must be cooled. The universal OEM solution was to put the pump inside the gas tank, with its filter, and let the gas do the cooling. Works great; keeps the cost of the pump down and its life up, but ease of maintenance was sacrificed. too bad for us.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
‘18 Limited 4x4, 3.5TT, 5,500 miles. Flat roads, 19 mpg. Around here 17. Can’t believe gas is $1.79 per gal...here.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cruise set to 60 today Phoenix to Tucson family of four with a/c on and luggage for a brief trip.

590ed23ae77f7b92355767c81113312a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is driving on a highway at a moderate speed and letting the mpgs build till they level out and letting off the gas. I can tell you let off bc the bright blue line only goes to 40 when your off the gas. Nice try though lol

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 Limited SWB 2WD- 23 highway/ 18 city. Bone stock

2016 EL Platinum 4WD- 20 highway/ 17 city. 5 star 93 perf tune, k&n CAI, 170 degree tstat, 3” lift 35s

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are these numbers possible? I get, AT BEST, 18 highway. 2011 short XLT 4WD

I think it depends on year and mileage, state of tune, and most of all driving style. An engine with worn spark plugs and a clogged fuel filter isn’t going to get the efficiency of one kept up on. Also city vs highway makes a big difference.

IIGood

Reaction score
2010 Limited 4WD here. 150K miles on the clock. I've kept it in 2WD mode mostly and I'm pulling about 15.5 MPG on my regular trips. Typically I just drive it to work, maybe 15 miles one-way...on weekends I might take it out and about running errands.

When my girlfriend was driving it for a couple weeks to get to work (her car's transmission gave up after 280K miles), she managed to get almost 17 MPG out of it. Her commute is a bit longer...about 50 miles one-way, around the DC beltway.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know driving habits can affect mileage more than anything else. But I was CAREFUL on one trip to test. 160 miles. Nearly all highway. 65Mph, gentle on the gas, etc. 18.5.
The truck's got 140k, but had new Iridium plugs and coils at 65k, the MAF sensor is clean too. No codes. No misfire counts. Just a thirsty truck.
I got 22 MPG once by aggressively drafting semis. But that's not really a plan.