What oil and Filter combo in the new Ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the Motorcraft FL-500 because it has an anti-drainback valve. This helps with oil pressure when you first start the engine.

I currently use Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 but I will be switching to the new Valvoline Modern Engine synthetic made for DI engines. They claim 30% less oil vapor that gets into the intake and ultimately on the intake valves.

I think combined with my JLT oil separator I have great reduced the risk of fouling the intake valves.

txracer16

Reaction score
The forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com are a good resource for info on motor oils. Castrol Magnetec has been suggested as suitable for use with the Ecoboost. Without getting too deep into the technical details, direct injection engines suffer from excessive fuel dilution (confirmed in multiple UOAs), so many posters suggest using a heavier 30 to accommodate a decrease in viscosity over time.

That site is a great resource. Also has very interesting info and study on oil filter construction and performance between brands.

Jigstick

Reaction score
Schaeffers Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic has by far been the best oil I've used in our cars. My wifes 2012 Explorer, two chevy tahoes, an F150, a Ram 1500. And now in our 2018 Expy. Nothing else even comes close.

Ive used the Royal Purple and K & N filters, experimenting between the two. My experience has shown that its so close I can't tell which one performs the best between the two. Now I just go with the KN because the wrench off nut makes it so nice.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Motorcraft FL-500 because it has an anti-drainback valve. This helps with oil pressure when you first start the engine.

I currently use Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W30 but I will be switching to the new Valvoline Modern Engine synthetic made for DI engines. They claim 30% less oil vapor that gets into the intake and ultimately on the intake valves.

I think combined with my JLT oil separator I have great reduced the risk of fouling the intake valves.

I use Motorcraft filters as well, good quality for low $.

Have to watch the quicklube places. I’ve read they only stock FL-500S filters to reduce inventory. Ford says the FL-500S is not large enough to be accepteble for the 5.4 Triton. But these places slap them on everything anyway because they fit. Always use and make sure the recommended filter was used.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Schaeffers Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic has by far been the best oil I've used in our cars. My wifes 2012 Explorer, two chevy tahoes, an F150, a Ram 1500. And now in our 2018 Expy. Nothing else even comes close.

Ive used the Royal Purple and K & N filters, experimenting between the two. My experience has shown that its so close I can't tell which one performs the best between the two. Now I just go with the KN because the wrench off nut makes it so nice.

Schaeffer's does make some great products. Found any deals on it?

mike foster

Reaction score
I like Liqui Moly. Anyone else tried it?

I just bought my '17 has 75K on it and when I saw on the little window sticker reminder the Ford dealer used bulk 5w20 ...so I used a can of Liqui Moly MoS2 additive until I change the oil next month. It's staying cool here and I'm not towing so won't be anything to lose sleep over. I bought Penzoil Platinum 5W30 (Wix filter) and will use it but on I'm thinking about using the Liqui Moly Molygen 5w30 w/ the Wix.

mike foster

Reaction score
Recently installed my JLT oil separator and now I know why they call them "catch cans" -you should see the milky oily goop it picks up. I poured a good tablespoon out after only a few hundred miles. In my opinion this is a MUST HAVE on these engines to keep that goop from fouling the MAP sensors and spark plugs.

Andy C

Reaction score
Oil filter has been Napa gold oil filter.
For the oil, I started to use Costco full synthetic oil.

Performing well and great price to go with it. Make it more affordable to change oil every 5k or so rather than going by the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerGermanFan

Reaction score
I decided I'd change my oil every 5K instead of the 7.5K to 10K. I still use full synthetic (Costco sells Mobile1 5w30 in a 6 quart pack for $23 on sale), plus a $4 motor-craft oil filter and I'm golden.

When I owned German cars I used Motul and Liqui Moly religiously, they are phenomenal oils. But they are required for the specs fussy German engines have, I feel it'd be a waste of money on an Ecoboost.