What paint strippers work on plastic bumper covers in 2021?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was doing a bit of research and it seems the old reliable chemical formulas got banned last year.

Anyone use a new store-bought product to strip paint off plastic parts in 2021 successfully? What worked? Thx

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Free state of what? Mexico?

The ban on consumer distribution of methylene chloride (dichloromethane) is federal.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a hobby shop in your town, they probably sell model paint remover. It's safe for use on plastics. Also PepBoys sells a plastics paint remover in a spray can made by Klean Strip (Aircraft Paint Remover). It's safe on plastics, but test an area first just to be sure it's safe on what you're working on. I used it on my Yamaha outboard plastic parts when I repainted it and it works well.

Aircraft-Paint-Remover-Aerosol.jpg

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a hobby shop in your town, they probably sell model paint remover. It's safe for use on plastics. Also PepBoys sells a plastics paint remover in a spray can made by Klean Strip (Aircraft Paint Remover). It's safe on plastics, but test an area first just to be sure it's safe on what you're working on. I used it on my Yamaha outboard plastic parts when I repainted it and it works well.

View attachment 70781

The EPA banned that formula for consumer use and distrubution in 2019 (commercial users can still get it with a bunch of paperwork and accountability bs)

Now we have.... this. Most reviews insist that it can't do jack.

20211016_155106.jpg