What PSI do you keep your tires at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenK

Reaction score
Mine is a 4x4 so it has the 18-inch Michelin Primacys and I keep them 38 to 40 psi. I also rotate them and change the oil every 5,000 miles. They are wearing perfectly and have no issues other than those %^&* factory capped lug nuts. Swapped those out for solid chrome ones that look like the originals so they don't swell and deform when using the impact wrench to remove them. The Michelin Primacys are decent on the road though they sometimes make noise on concrete highways. They seem okay in the rain but haven't had any emergency maneuvers in the wet. Last winter we had an infamous snowstorm so I went out and tried out the 4x4 and tires in the snow. Have to admit the fancy electronic 4x4 system works really well but the Michelins were horrible in the snow. If I lived somewhere with regular snow I would either get winter snow tires or swap them out immediately for something else. The bottom line is I will hang on to them for a while and change them out at 50 to 60K. In my experience with Michelins they last a lot of miles but the ride, vibration, and traction really degrade after 50K.
Am interested hearing in other's experiences both positive and negative.

Joshua Cole

Reaction score
39-42 on the stock hankooks, I did have some feathering up front. I just did first tire rotation at 13k miles. Now it seems like i get less traction in the rear in the wet with the feathered tires back there. I should have rotated sooner. I do drive aggressively however which contributes to the wear and also the less traction in the rear lol.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
39-42 on the stock hankooks, I did have some feathering up front. I just did first tire rotation at 13k miles. Now it seems like i get less traction in the rear in the wet with the feathered tires back there. I should have rotated sooner. I do drive aggressively however which contributes to the wear and also the less traction in the rear lol.
Keep increasing front PSI until you minimize the feathering on the outside edge. Other than that, you have to install the front camber adjustment kit, to dial in -1 degree of negative camber.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not rotating often enough will cause the feathering. I got lazy when my stock primacy's were getting a bit old and they went to crap fast by not rotating them. 10k without a rotate had the front tires shot.

(I had a slow leak in one and 3 tires had multiple flat repairs so I was just running them through the summer to get new ones before winter)

steeltoe

Reaction score
With Michelin defenders and deep rims, I'm usually 40psi on the highway or 25-30psi off-road.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just swapped out my summers for 18 inch steel rims and brand new Nokian Hakkapilita 10 winter tires with full studs. The tire installer kept them at 33 psi cold. I wonder if I should bump that up to 37 or even 39???

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like you could do double-duty as a Zamboni with those... :)

All Nokian says is use the pressure recommended by Ford. So use what's on the door sticker, especially since these aren't light truck tires or something with higher load capacity which is usually the reason to change the pressure.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like you could do double-duty as a Zamboni with those... :)

All Nokian says is use the pressure recommended by Ford. So use what's on the door sticker, especially since these aren't light truck tires or something with higher load capacity which is usually the reason to change the pressure.
As a fellow Albertan you know what kind of a GONG Hwy 2 (AKA the autobahn) can turn into. Plus we typically head skiing usually Banff / Sunshine but this year heading to Big White. Heading to Sunshine next week for opening day actually.

But yeah, I have a tinge of regret with the studs tbh. I probably should have opted for the non-studded version but we shall see how it performs when we actually get some snow.