What to look for when buying a gen 1 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
We'll... I'm brand new here. Found a '97 in kijji for sale.. At a real cheap price. So not knowing much about these trucks I joined the forum. Read what to look for and it's pretty basic stuff to look for. But reading about it I'm at least not going in blind. I've had a few Bronco Ii 's in the past really loved them but are now hard to find.. So I'm going to go look at this '97 Eddie Bauer.. Guy wants a cheap price for it and by the pics she don't look bad. He wants $400 bucks... It's got a broken back window big flipping deal.. Just gotta find the time to go look at it since I drive hwy truck for a living so trying to find the time to meet up with the guy is a bit hard.. None the less.. For $400 bucks. I figure you can't really go wrong. I asked the guy to take it out for a spin and tell me if it still drives the way he remembers it. Got back in touch with me with good results. Says the reason that it sat over the winter was because the back window was smashed out due to vandalism and our cold Canadian winters @ -40 just isn't nice. So I've finally figured out a day to go look at her and figure out if I want her or not. Like I say $400 isn't that bad. Even if it needs work. I figure I can at least work on it on my reset. It'll give me something to do. I figure if I get it up and going the first year.. The second year I can start building her the way I want it..

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We'll... I'm brand new here. Found a '97 in kijji for sale.. At a real cheap price. So not knowing much about these trucks I joined the forum. Read what to look for and it's pretty basic stuff to look for. But reading about it I'm at least not going in blind. I've had a few Bronco Ii 's in the past really loved them but are now hard to find.. So I'm going to go look at this '97 Eddie Bauer.. Guy wants a cheap price for it and by the pics she don't look bad. He wants $400 bucks... It's got a broken back window big flipping deal.. Just gotta find the time to go look at it since I drive hwy truck for a living so trying to find the time to meet up with the guy is a bit hard.. None the less.. For $400 bucks. I figure you can't really go wrong. I asked the guy to take it out for a spin and tell me if it still drives the way he remembers it. Got back in touch with me with good results. Says the reason that it sat over the winter was because the back window was smashed out due to vandalism and our cold Canadian winters @ -40 just isn't nice. So I've finally figured out a day to go look at her and figure out if I want her or not. Like I say $400 isn't that bad. Even if it needs work. I figure I can at least work on it on my reset. It'll give me something to do. I figure if I get it up and going the first year.. The second year I can start building her the way I want it..

Cool, another cowtown resident.

Let me know if you decide not to pick it up, I just might... :wink:

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Will do bra. Most likely I will grab it though. Like I say.. It'll give me something to do on my reset. And if she goes as good as dude says.. Well I may be able to take it out right away after changing the fluids. Go explore the fsr's haven't been any where like that in like a few yrs now. Kinda stoked about that.. Gotta get the time to go look at the darn thing though. Always the tough part..

GaryA

Reaction score
New to the forum and to the expeditions. Just picked up a 2001 cheap about a month ago. I look forward to everyone's experiences as I get deeper into the modifications.

Sent from 4G LTE

zenplacefour

Reaction score
I'm late to this party but... I wanted to agree with what Racenut said "Make sure to check the rear lower trailing arms for rust issues."

I just discovered the trailing arms on my 2000 (Eddie Bauer 5.4LT 4x4 - in the photo) are dangerously corroded. I've not been paying close enough attention to them and - when I was fixing a rear brake line - noticed how bad they are. YIKES!

Some of the other annoyances I've experienced:

* The "leaking window" problem
* A faulty GEM module - (A4WD didn't function)
* Body rusting out along the floorboards (New England uses a LOT of salt)
* Lost 80% of torque in reverse gear

Last edited:

mr49erguy

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1998 Expedition 5.4 litre 4x4 Eddie Bauer edition last weekend and will now be sure to check the rear trailing arms. I will be working on it tomorrow morning to get the first phase of repairs done on it, which starts with the front brakes. Needs a new driver side caliper. I will also be replacing the PCV valve, spark plugs, wipers, rear window struts, changing the oil and filter and inspecting belts, fluid levels.

Is there anything else you guys can recommend for me to check on this particular model? I'm told that the exhaust manifold can sometimes leak. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

The previous owner tells me that the transfer case is losing fluid and needs to be filled up every 4000 miles or so. My guess is that this is a gasket issue, but I have not looked at it yet to know for sure. The loss of fluid is happening while in motion though because there is no puddle/spot under the vehicle where it was regularly parked.

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to get to working on it.

broncobogger

Reaction score
towing

I bought a 1972 26ft bumper pull camper that was 800 miles away. it was a hard pull to say the least I had plenty of power just didn't have enough suspension. any body know suspension up grades for an 02 expedition

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360