What to look for when buying a gen 1 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1972 26ft bumper pull camper that was 800 miles away. it was a hard pull to say the least I had plenty of power just didn't have enough suspension. any body know suspension up grades for an 02 expedition

I think the tried and true method of dealing with a sagging butt when towing is combination of weight distributing bars and/or aftermarket air bags in the rear coils.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may have missed the comment about a Blank screen on the factory radio mine was blank but i fix it . Also not sure if it was mention bad fuel pump

seawalkersee

Reaction score
Third brake light on mine cracked, Broken LCAs, Rear window struts, Pass side HG, Rust. I still have the intermittent odometer light (anyone have a link to fixing that?) and I'm sure a few other things. But for 200K and $800 bux, I couldn't go wrong. And I get better than 16 MPG in the summer.

SWS

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/picking-your-brain-on-rust-in-frame.15055/
rust1-jpg.4190

josephbourd

Reaction score
Vertical crack running down right side of radiator . This can cause overheating leading to head gasket leak and eventually melted catalytic convetrers .

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the door a jar problem. shoot some WD40 into the hinge so the lights switch will push in.
the vacuum breathe tube on the rear axle. make sure its on there or it makes some weird noise in the axle. (does anyone know where it goes to. it goes into the frame and from there idk.) mine came off right at the nipple on the axle. so its on there with a little super glue and electrical tape.
window actuators in the front. (still have yet to fix mine.) as for the hose that was the latest cop to go out. coolant dripped on mine. idk how ford fixed the hose but its the same one.

What is that tube on the axle supposed to go to? Did you ever find out? I just noticed mine dangling when I was changing my fuel pump. I found some weird little cap where I found it dangling and put the cap over the tube. I assumed it was some type of filler tube or something. I'm definitely confused about it.

Will Randolph

Reaction score
All the bushings, ball joints, steering shaft, shocks, and sway bar links. Great off road vehicle, but feels like you’re floating on the highway and can easily over react, and with touchy Ford steering that is a combo I don’t like.