What to look for when buying a gen 2 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'd say check the rear AC, window up down motion. For the most part that is all that has gone wrong with my 2nd gen.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something I posted on F150online awhile ago to someone looking for buying advice:
ELVATO said:
For that price range, you shouldn't have any trouble getting something you like. If you're going to be towing, I'd get the 5.4 for the extra grunt. Also make sure the required trailer harness is in the back.

Things to check for:
1. Clicking/thumping from rear AC actuators. Turn on rear AC and switch between floor and roof, as well as between hot and cold. If there is clicking, one of the actuators has broken gears. Easy fix (though can be time consuming, depending on which one it is.) Might be good bargaining point.

2. Just like the F150s, the lighted window switches like to go out. They should come on as soon as the key is turned (kinnda hard to see in the daytime, so cup your hand over them.) Isn't a huge problem, more an appearance one. Again, another possible bargaining point.

3. Not sure if it's applicable with all years, or just 03's, but check the rear tailgate, especially around the plate area. There might be paint bubbling. Something about the aluminum oxidizing, something like that. Cosmetic, another bargaining point.

4. Check operation of the power mirror switch. I know of a couple where either some or all of the directions don't work. Mine, for example, doesn't wanna drive the mirrors down. The switch is only 15 dollars from Tasca, and is an easy fix, but not everyone knows that. Another bargaining point.

5. For higher mileage Expys with the 3V 5.4L, ask to see if the plugs have been changed. I'm pretty sure it's the same hassle as the F150 5.4L engine.

6. Check the headlights for spider webbing. Might need to turn on the headlights to see them (not sure if you can see it in the day, but you can see them at night, when the lights are on.) Seems it's heat cracks. My old ones had them, and the replacement ones I got off ebay have a couple small ones, though they aren't very noticeable. Hopefully running HIDs helps slows the process.

7. I know you said 04-06, but if you were to look at consider an 03, pull the fuse cover off and check the PCM relay (R203, the one next to fuses 22 and 36.) Check for burning at one of the prongs. The early 03s had a problem with the fuse box frying the PCM relay which can result in no-start conditions or the engine dying while driving (ask me how I know...)

Other than that, just push every button, turn every dial, and make sure everything works like it should. Check the tires for improper wear, check the engine for noises on a cold start up. Take a look under the Expy to make sure nothing is out of place. Check the fluids and their color/smell. If it's 4x4, make sure it works. Make sure the windows go up and down as they should. Check the power pedals. Check the rear wiper. Make sure all locks work, as well as the remote and keyless entry.

Hmm... I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but that's all I can remember for now. I'll post up if I remember something else. :)

Another issue, though this should be obvious, is the fading outer trim of the XLTs.

Also, some 05s may have injector issues. They may stick open or closed, resulting in engine damage. You would have to contact the dealership to see if the vehicle is affected. They extend the warranty on the injectors (and anything that might be damaged from a stuck injector) to 11 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
guess it good to live in the warmer dryer climates dont get as much of the rust issue as other parts of the country