What to look for when buying a gen 2 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First let me ask...is the Triton engine both the 3v and the 2v? I have an 04 xlt with the 5.4 Triton which I thought was the 3v engine mostly because the throttle body cover says it's a 3v engine. :confused:

If it's a '04 Expy it should still have the 2V motor in it. Can you post a picture of the cover you say has 3V on it ?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First let me ask...is the Triton engine both the 3v and the 2v? I have an 04 xlt with the 5.4 Triton which I thought was the 3v engine mostly because the throttle body cover says it's a 3v engine. :confused:

"Triton" is a product name - it's branding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine. Apparently Ford used it through 2010. Most Ford models changed from the 2v to the 3v at the same time; I have no clue why. It's not the first time they've done something like that (look up the 7700 option). The ford expedition was a 2 valve (2V) through 2004, changing to the 3 valve (3V) for the 2005 model year. If your car says otherwise, then I can only suppose ford may have started with the 3V in the expedition late in the 2004 model year.

Randy-IA

Reaction score
I was wrong about the TB cover having 3V on it. It's only got Triton 5.4L on it.

In addition, I may be confused about that nomenclature; 2V, 3V, etc. My feeble understanding is that it refers to the number of valves in a cylinder? I've been not changing my spark plugs because i believe them to be the the two piece plugs used in the 3V engine. Wrong?

But, if the 3V engine wasn't in the 2004 then what plug style do I have? I haven't gone digging down to look for myself since my big hands have a tendency to break all the indestructible plastic they use in these engine compartments these days. I've already cracked the radiator cover in two places just leaning over it. I'd be afraid to actually start breaking vacuum lines and electrical connectors.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wrong about the TB cover having 3V on it. It's only got Triton 5.4L on it.

In addition, I may be confused about that nomenclature; 2V, 3V, etc. My feeble understanding is that it refers to the number of valves in a cylinder? I've been not changing my spark plugs because i believe them to be the the two piece plugs used in the 3V engine. Wrong?

But, if the 3V engine wasn't in the 2004 then what plug style do I have?

You have the single piece plugs that all 2 valve Tritons have ... usually the Motorcraft SP479 ....

AGSF22WM-BAC__ra_p.jpg

Randy-IA

Reaction score
Well, if that is in fact true....DUH! And don't forget DOOH!

So maybe I should risk breaking everything inside the engine compartment and get my plugs changed.

I love these newfangled vehicles where half the engine top has to be removed just to find the spark plugs and then more stuff has to be disassembled to actually get a socket on them. No, I actually don't love them! A simple job like changing spark plugs should not take over a half hour for a young person and about an hour for an old fat guy like me. Not a half a day.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Randy-IA

Reaction score
:eek::( I just spent about $300 on torque wrenches in the last month...Now I need to get one with a flex head?!

AWESOME!!!! :chewie:

Those sockets have have a built in ratchet system? You aught be ashamed! Teaching this old dawg about tools he's never even heard of before! :cheers:

At least I have an arsenal of gear wrenches already.