What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Well its time to upgrade my ride. Love my 03 XLT and I have 320,000 mostly trouble free miles on her but she's starting to show her age. I'm now looking for a 3rd gen Extended Length and was hoping for some insight on what's good and what to watch out for.

Thank you all,

Bob

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buying one right now, I'd get a 2017 with the lowest mileage you can find. Get a loaded XLT with the 202A package -- or, if you can afford the fancier trim levels, a Limited, King Ranch, or Platinum. Avoid any truck from Canada, the Midwest, or the Northeast. Or, be sure to inspect thoroughly for rust underneath. Pay particular attention to the rocker panels. Also, it seems some 2017 model have water leaks mainly due to issues with drains for the moonroof. The best ride quality comes from the CCD suspension option. This is standard on Platinum but rare on King Ranch and Limited. If there's one option I wish I had that I don't have on my truck, it's CCD. . .

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Continuously Controlled Dampening. This is a technology that's been around for a while, particularly at GM, but is only very slowly making its way into Ford products. Not only does it make the ride much smoother, it also provides driver-selectable ride control. Thus, you can select between "comfort," "normal," and "sport" modes.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CCD was a standalone option. All trucks with CCD have specific 22-inch wheels.

As I recall, for 2015-16 CCD was optional on Limited, King Ranch, and Platinum. It was most commonly seen on Platinums. It was available but rare on King Ranch and it was an ultra-rare option for Limited models

For 2017, CCD became standard on Platinum but some vehicles had this option "deleted" if a "load-leveling rear suspension" was ordered. 2017 Platinums with load-leveling rear shocks were equipped with 20-inch 2015 Platinum wheels.

CCD is also known as "Lincoln Drive" and was an available option on Navigator models. Most Navigators that have it come with 22-inch wheels but some Navigators got CCD with 20-inch wheels.

As previously stated, *all* Expeditions that have CCD will also have 22-inch wheels. If a truck you are looking at has smaller wheels, it won't have CCD -- even if it's a 2017 Platinum where CCD was supposedly standard equipment.

KYFarmin

Reaction score
I’m currently shopping for a 2017 model EL and I want to make sure the vehicle has the max tow package with the 3.73 axle. Most dealers can’t tell me with certainty if their vehicle has it and I haven’t had luck with VIN decoders having that detail.

Are their certain features that I should see that we’re unique to the max tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the 2017 brochure, 3.73 Limited-Slip axle is standard on EL models. Heavy-duty trailer tow is standard on all models except XLT (and, likely, SSV or XL base models). Heavy-duty trailer tow is part of the 202A package on XLT which also includes heated and cooled front seats, memory seats, power tilt-and-telescoping steering column, 8-inch display with SYNC 3, dual-zone climate control, ambient lighting, power liftgate, and power-fold 3rd row seats.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m currently shopping for a 2017 model EL and I want to make sure the vehicle has the max tow package with the 3.73 axle. Most dealers can’t tell me with certainty if their vehicle has it and I haven’t had luck with VIN decoders having that detail.

Are their certain features that I should see that we’re unique to the max tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The axle code is on the door sticker, although iirc all EL's had 3.73 axles no?

Other easily visible tow-related options will be the 7-pin trailer hookup in the back and the presence/absence of a trailer brake controller (under vent to the right of the steering wheel)