What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one is listed for $10k locally - Las Vegas. Going prices for Expy's in Vegas are higher than most other areas. The engine is "new" 3 yr, unlimited mileage warranty. I've been taking my other cars there for service.
This shop has a repair history on the '07 going back to 75k miles. The previous engine had plugs replaced @ 132k miles - *By the dealership. They broke off the plug tip and left it in the cylinder....100 miles down the road, the valves tried to eat the tip, unsuccessfully. The shop has had it sitting for 2 years, and just replaced the engine, mid-December '18. The shop is offering 1 year/12k miles on the engine, w/ 6months on the rest of the drivetrain. I'm expecting that should be enough to discover any 'bugs' not immediately noticeable.

Screw that, that's '09 Navigator money... and no plugs issues there, only '07 and early '08

If things really are so bad in Vegas, Los Angeles is 4 hours away

But check cargurus listings and craigslist, you might be surprised.

And avoid buying from repair shops, that's probably a mechanic's lien (think "foreclosed for unpaid services"), so the former owners were utter flakes

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you buy some Frankenstein truck that was messed with at best and utterly neglected at worst when you can find an unmolested, well cared for one-owner truck with the same mileage at the same price? I picked up my '08 two years ago with 70K miles for $12,000.

You really want to pay ten grand for something that was seriously monkey-hammered?

fe731as

Reaction score
Also considering '16 or '17 EL's, but don't have much confidence in the reliability of the Ecoboost engines.
And, I checked Craigslist LA, Phoenix, and Salt Lake City. Also CarGurus and Carfax listings. The prices for Expy's aren't significantly different than Las Vegas - a little less, but not drastically so. Only more available to choose from. Most are rental units w/ 50k miles.

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brother in law has been running an ecoboost for years in his f150.. While he doesnt haul heavy loads or trailors (he uses the bed for a laser engraver..) it's been nothing but reliable for him. My boss also runs a ecoboost in his f150.

T Money

Reaction score
I plan to buy a 2017 Expedition EL. I live in Utah, but what is available to buy is mostly prior rental units. I found one I liked, but it had a whistling noise from the cabin a/c that they couldn't/ wouldn't fix. Is this typical of the Expys?

I'm looking at another 2017 Expy EL today. It was a rental in Missouri. I know to check for rust, what's the limit on this? Any surface rust or do these things really rust through?

My preference is not a rental unit, it's just what's available in Utah. No one is trading in their Expys around here.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a whistling noise coming from the A/C vents in my 2009. I just learned to live with it and never tried to fix it. No idea what was causing it.

If you're shopping for an XLT, I recommend getting a truck with the 202a package (heated/cooled seats, etc.) but without a moon roof. There are many reports of water leaks from trucks with the moon roof. For some reason, there seems to be more leaking 2017s than other years.

Also, get under whatever truck you want to buy and inspect the underside. There's no special coating on the steering knuckles and drivetrain parts. These will always have surface rust on them and they can look pretty bad. If it's a lot heavier than mere surface rust, though, be careful. Also check the mounting points for the running boards and carefully inspect the back side of the entire rocker panel area (i.e. on each side below the doors). This is one of the spots that is most notorious for rusting through.

Last edited:

T Money

Reaction score
Any thoughts on limited vs. Platinum? I'm still looking to buy a 2017 EL. Is the leather that much nicer? That seems to be the biggest difference.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a Platinum but they were just too expensive. If you can afford it, that's the way to go. Make sure to get one with the CCD ride option (if it has 22-inch factory wheels, it will have CCD). It's really comfortable. It also comes standard with BLIS which is otherwise hard to find.

Yes, the leather is that much nicer! It's the same leather you'd get in a Navigator. The seats feel much more plush and comfortable compared to the Limited or XLT which is more stiff. One problem though is the "Agate Tuxedo stripe" in the Platinum wears prematurely when getting in and out of the truck.

T Money

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! All of the platinums here have 20 inch wheels. Seems odd. Price difference on a used 2017 limited vs. Platinum is about $6,000. I can afford it. Just want to make sure it's worth it. It'll be my DD and TV. I currently drive a suburban LTZ; it's like sitting in a lazy-boy recliner when I drive!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d recommend driving a King Ranch. The Interior is noticeably better than the Platinum if you want to look at top trim levels. The Platinum is just leather inserts on otherwise vinyl seats vs genuine leather everywhere. Much nicer exterior and rims on KR as well.