What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYFarmin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! All of the platinums here have 20 inch wheels. Seems odd. Price difference on a used 2017 limited vs. Platinum is about $6,000. I can afford it. Just want to make sure it's worth it. It'll be my DD and TV. I currently drive a suburban LTZ; it's like sitting in a lazy-boy recliner when I drive!

I picked up a Platinum EL in December and have not regretted it for a moment. I was really surprised by the difference you can choose in the suspension settings. Around town we like the normal settings but on long road trips we put it in comfort and it rides like a Cadillac from the 70/80s. It’s a nice glide ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20 inch tires are no biggy. As a matter of fact, even basic tire repair shops can usually handle up to 20's. Tires aren't cheap though. Bigger you go, higher the price.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! All of the platinums here have 20 inch wheels. Seems odd. Price difference on a used 2017 limited vs. Platinum is about $6,000. I can afford it. Just want to make sure it's worth it. It'll be my DD and TV. I currently drive a suburban LTZ; it's like sitting in a lazy-boy recliner when I drive!
If your current ride is like a recliner, why change?

vintageman

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a 2017 Expedition Limited a week ago, has approximately 10k mile or 17k kilometres for any fellow Canadians. I noticed something yesterday for the first time.

I had pulled my Expy into driveway to clean garage, left it there all day and it was 95F or 35C, going to store I used command start to pre cool interior. When I came out first thing I heard was engine was very loud, at first I thought it was over reaving so I turned off and restarted was idling normally. Went to store, on way home engine started making the loud noise again, rpm' showed normal so drove home noise still loud. I parked and and left running opened hood hood and identified the noise coming from the Cooling fan.

My question is it supposed to be so loud and why Is fan kicking in when expy was parked all day and not running.

Thanks, anyone else with a 2017 Expedition noticed this? I owned a 2015 F150 with 2.7l ecoboost and never ever had this happen and if my cooling fan did kick on it was so quiet I didn't notice it.

Not sure if you ever got the high running fan fixed but I had the same issue on my 2016 F150, turned out it was the low pressure side of the AC. Took the dealership 2 days of telling me that it was normal and that I had just never noticed it running high. I called another dealer service department in front of them and asked if they had seen the issue before and they said they had and had fixed it. I let the Service Manager talk to the other dealership's mechanic, next day the problem was fixed.

corvin

Reaction score
Not sure if you ever got the high running fan fixed but I had the same issue on my 2016 F150, turned out it was the low pressure side of the AC. Took the dealership 2 days of telling me that it was normal and that I had just never noticed it running high. I called another dealer service department in front of them and asked if they had seen the issue before and they said they had and had fixed it. I let the Service Manager talk to the other dealership's mechanic, next day the problem was fixed.

How was the problem fixed, I'm curious? Is the fan supposed to run at different speed settings?

IIGood

Reaction score
Hey all...new here, looking to join the club in the next few months. I currently own a 2003 Explorer that seems to be on its last leg and I've been wanting to get into an Expedition for the space...could certainly use the extra room for packing for camping trips and vacations.

Anyway, hoping to get something between 2010-2016 for under $20K. I know the lower the price point, the higher the mileage will likely be.

My main question is about this bit regarding the cam phasers on the 5.4. What would I need to listen for if the phasers are in need of replacement? Just how likely is the repair going to be at 100K miles? 150K?

I probably wouldn't mind getting an EcoBoost but since they're in the newer ones, it's probably not too likely that those will be in my budget.

Thanks!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all...new here, looking to join the club in the next few months. I currently own a 2003 Explorer that seems to be on its last leg and I've been wanting to get into an Expedition for the space...could certainly use the extra room for packing for camping trips and vacations.

Anyway, hoping to get something between 2010-2016 for under $20K. I know the lower the price point, the higher the mileage will likely be.

My main question is about this bit regarding the cam phasers on the 5.4. What would I need to listen for if the phasers are in need of replacement? Just how likely is the repair going to be at 100K miles? 150K?

I probably wouldn't mind getting an EcoBoost but since they're in the newer ones, it's probably not too likely that those will be in my budget.

Thanks!

For 20k, imho look for 2015+ (ecoboost) or a babied Navigator L.

If you're considering trucks with odd sounds coming from under the hood, you should be paying more like $3 - 5k

IIGood

Reaction score
For 20k, imho look for 2015+ (ecoboost) or a babied Navigator L.

I'll probably have to expand my search radius as a quick search on just AutoTrader, within only 100 miles of me, didn't show any 2015s or 2016s in my price range with the (few) options I'm desiring.

If you're considering trucks with odd sounds coming from under the hood, you should be paying more like $3 - 5k

Oh no, I'm definitely not wanting any odd sounds. I'm wanting to avoid that by all means.