What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll probably have to expand my search radius as a quick search on just AutoTrader, within only 100 miles of me, didn't show any 2015s or 2016s in my price range with the (few) options I'm desiring.

Oh no, I'm definitely not wanting any odd sounds. I'm wanting to avoid that by all means.

Autowhatnow?

Avoid the ripoffs.

The only two places to search for used cars are cargurus and craigslist

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d recommend driving a King Ranch. The Interior is noticeably better than the Platinum if you want to look at top trim levels. The Platinum is just leather inserts on otherwise vinyl seats vs genuine leather everywhere. Much nicer exterior and rims on KR as well.

True That!!! King Ranch trim rules.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been on the forum for a while. Just bought a 2009 EB EL, 4x4, 130K miles, $9500. Upgraded from a 2000 4x4 Sport package, 159K miles. Only issues I ever had was trans blew the torque converter at 80K. Hope the new does well. New truck is in great shape and all maintenance records show it was taken care of. Anyone know how I can get a build sheet?

Kyle Kuhlmann

Reaction score
Just bought a 2017 platinum EL. First hiccup was a missfire when passing. Switched gas stations and fuel grade. Seems to have cleared up the issue. I am curious though if these EB engines have any known issues to look out for? Truck has 84k on it now and seems to sip the fuel around town. Wife really likes the rig and feels spoiled. Lol!
Driverside running board is slow and appears to stick at times. Any common fixes to make it last longer? I definitely see a actuator motor replacement in it's future.
Also, I saw someone mention an upgrade to the stereo software? It doesn't recognize my phone. (Android)
The vehicle is an absolute cloud on wheels with the CCD suspension and over all quite happy with the rig!!
Looking forward to posting and helping the community where I can as I do upgrades/maintenance on the vehicle.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 2017 platinum EL. First hiccup was a missfire when passing. Switched gas stations and fuel grade. Seems to have cleared up the issue. I am curious though if these EB engines have any known issues to look out for? Truck has 84k on it now and seems to sip the fuel around town. Wife really likes the rig and feels spoiled. Lol!
Driverside running board is slow and appears to stick at times. Any common fixes to make it last longer? I definitely see a actuator motor replacement in it's future.
Also, I saw someone mention an upgrade to the stereo software? It doesn't recognize my phone. (Android)
The vehicle is an absolute cloud on wheels with the CCD suspension and over all quite happy with the rig!!
Looking forward to posting and helping the community where I can as I do upgrades/maintenance on the vehicle.

With 84k miles, you may be looking at needing spark plugs with that misfire. I experienced a misfire at 85k and plugs fixed me right up.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TuxedoBlack

Reaction score
my 15 just had board running board motors and rear hinges under warranty with same issues. $3200+parts alone.

15 Platinum Tuxedo Black

Edward Stammer

Reaction score
Had to have the battery wiring harness replaced, the dealer did not clean the battery terminals, and the old battery had a leak at the Positive terminal which caused the terminal post connection to disintegrate. Corrosion was down in the wiring about 2 inches also, causing hard starts, hot or cold.

Joshua Winter

Reaction score
I bought my 2008 with 125k miles on it and when I test drove it the driver window didn't work but the guy had it fixed when i bought it. After a few months the driver seat started catching or clicking like missing teeth or jumping, as mentioned above, but only in one spot. I pulled the seat at looked around under there around the track but I couldn't find anything so since we didn't move the seat much we just ignored it. No other issues until about 160k it would randomly lose alot of power and hesitate really bad and threw a bunch of codes but I ended up deciding on a tune up and the plugs didn't have any point left so that explained it and I changed the coils too just in case. Off and on, usually only while backing a small trailer, the cam phaser/s would clatter really loud and I would stop, put it in park and shut it off but it always cleared up when I restarted it. It's got over 200k on it and we are going to go ahead and change those just so it doesnt get worse. The passenger front window quit working around 200k. I changed one rear strut a few years ago and the other rear strut last year. Oh I used to go through brake light bulbs every few months so I switched to led and never replaced another one. Over all after putting 100k on it myself it has done extremely well. I have no complaints other than the hump in the hood catches the sun sometimes and glares the driver. Oh and the info center can be hard to see with that out dated green lighting. Excellent vehicle over all

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360