What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p38fln

Reaction score
Sunroof drains don't have that much to do with it. My 2012 has rusty rockers and no sunroof.
Thats horrible. I’ve always had this dream of finding a sunroof free Expedition to avoid rocker rust. Well, if I ever find one without rust I’ll add a few more drains to the rockers. On mine, nature added it’s own rocker drain.

Richard Mickelson

Reaction score
I have my 2011 Sliver Limited up for sale right now, other then a few paint bubbles on the rear deck the truck is immaculate inside and out with all the bells and whistles that were available at the time. Only has 190K miles on it.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 14

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 6 speed trans has less than positive shifts. After several software flash upgrades and no satisfactory resolution, I learned to deal with it by letting off gas slightly when I wanted it to shift. But anyone that this truck for the first time noticed the shift lag. Not present in tow / haul mode.

The 20” Pirelli Scorpions that came standard on the 4x4 Limited are useless in the snow, although a good summer / southern state tire.

HVAC duct redirector - loud clicking noise. Needed to have unit replaced, buried deep in dash, expensive repair.

As stated in another post, the color / lighting of the instrument panel is such that it is extremely difficult to read.

Front brake shudder, started at low mileage. Had rotors cut and when problem returned 10k later replaced rotors.

Battery - replaced after 4 years, but that is not so unusual.

Corrosion paint bubbling around rear hatch wiper assembly. Note rear hatch is aluminum. Truck is pearl white and Im concerned about a paint match during repair.

The 20” Pirellis Scorpion that came standard on the 4x4 Limited are useless in the snow, although a good summer / southern state tire.

Shift lag problem was not present in 2014.

Left rear wing window not properly glued to support frame and actually fell out while I was driving along.

As stated in another post, the color / lighting of the instrument panel is such that it is extremely difficult to read.

Whistling in HVAC ductwork at specific fan speeds. Evidently there were HVAC hardware changes between 11 and 14 as my 11 does not have this issue. Dealer stated no fix, bothered me so much I traded in the truck for new ‘17

Rear hatch window leaking water during heavy rain and car wash, took dealer 3 trys to correct.

Issues with positive battery post leaking acid and even though I cleaned the terminals every 4000 miles at oil change, the positive (paper thin) terminal was eaten completely through. This opened up a whole can of worms with Ford. See my other post on this subject for details.

Last edited:

gappbrown

Reaction score
We bought our 2012 Limited EL new and it now has 158k. Awesome car. Just did the timing service with all OEM parts and the upgraded oil pump.

The rear A/C blower isn't running. It shows it is working on the dash but the blower isn't running.

Anyone have an idea where to start on that?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my 07 almost 2 years ago but within the first week I replaced the battery, alternator, most of the hoses, fuel filter, and water pump. Now after two years I had to replace the radiator and condenser for leaking. But it's still one of the best vehicles I've owned.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced the alternator 3 times in 2 years and have had the rest of it inspected, my 07 just likes going through parts that aren't ford oem. Which sucks because I get parts cheap through an autozone commercial account as long as it's duralast.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace the gas cap if buying it used, I've had my 07 expedition for almost 2 years, bought with 192,000 and now has 207,000 and I replaced it today because there's been a gas smell after driving that's been getting worse. Apparently that little leak was enough for me to lose 100 miles on a full tank, before changing it'd say 318 miles at full, now it says 418.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my 07 almost 2 years ago but within the first week I replaced the battery, alternator, most of the hoses, fuel filter, and water pump. Now after two years I had to replace the radiator and condenser for leaking. But it's still one of the best vehicles I've owned.

Jeez. Were the rest Dodges? :D