What TT do you tow without HD tow package 4th generation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10sne1

Reaction score
We know a lot of 4th Generation Expys with HD tow, pull travel trailers. What do you tow with your non-HD
Tow Package? Also did you add Electric braking and after market spring enhancements? Just thought I’d ask, as many don’t have HD tow, but wish to use the 6000-6600lb towing offered on the HD non-tow model.
Note, cargo capacity is still good on non-HD’s. Mine is 1822!

OP
OP

10sne1

Reaction score

Non-HD tow package. Thought I’d share he’s towing 7500lbs...

ssmock

Reaction score
My 2014 towing around a 6,500 lb rig (Trailer & Car). First time using the weight distribution hitch so still adjusting the chains. Could use a little more adjustment to eliminate the squat in the rear. Made two trips from Kansas City in this, one a 3,500 round trip to Reno NV without a weight distribution hitch the other a 1,600 mile round trip to Gulf Port MS with the weight distribution hitch set up. See picture below. Prefer the WDH for a smoother ride no bounce and absolutely no sway but the Reno trip was good too and that was over a couple of mountain ranges. Expy does well, just likes gas stations! IMG_2536[2522].jpg

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
You CAN tow more than the rating. But it's harder on the vehicle. You should look for a trailer that will be at least 1000# under your tow rating unloaded. Remember, the tow rating DOES NOT include weight of passengers and equipment. You lose 400# with two average adults, you may be more or less than that. Add a couple kids and that's about 600#, then throw in weekend luggage and you're up to 1000# -- and you haven't even included extra stuff like chairs and such in the camper. Add another 500#. So now you're 500# over the recommended tow capacity-- but I'd call that good assuming trailer brakes and load leveling hitch. If you're boondocking and filling water tank... 10 gallons is 83#, so that's another 354# for me (43 gallons) -- many newer campers hold 50+ (over 415#). Plus the weight of a generator and extra supplies -- so you better go 1500# under capacity. I tow a 7200# camper with a 8400# rated 2003 Expy (tow package), but I don't boondock. I wouldn't tow anything bigger, and would prefer a 25-26' -- but my wife liked this camper, so...

You will need a brake controller to run safely without overloading the vehicle brakes, though in theory it should be ok. You just have to anticipate stops and drive a lot more carefully without those brakes. And a load leveling hitch. Unless you're an experienced tower I wouldn't tow anything near the capacity without trailer brakes, a load leveling hitch, and a sway control on the hitch. Without those I'd say a max of 1/2 - 2/3 the tow capacity, and even then you have to be more careful and not just motor along.

OP
OP

10sne1

Reaction score
Frank Swygert, thanks.
Understand towing dynamics. Thanks
Yes trailer brakes installed. yes weight distribution, yes limited TT weight. Cargo weight is high, 1866lbs. I have a 26 ft 5600 dry weight, never tow wet. 575 toung. Specs are good for me towing of 30 years, just fact finding on other experience towing with non heavy tow package.

Last edited: