What type and brand of torque wrench do you recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGyver

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

What type, brand, and size of torque wrench do you guys recommend? I have read many reviews with mixed results... Originally leaning towards the digital torque wrench instead of the normal click only style... was leaning towards the 3/8" size to be able to get the lower ft/lb readings... seems like the 1/2" wrenches typically start at 25 ft./lb.+... also came across the torque wrench adapters where I could use with my existing tools. Thanks for your help in advance.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Choose Snap On torque wrenches. If you could find a combination click and dial type, the better.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the home mechanic using Snapon is a very expensive option. If you have deep pockets go for it.
Keep in mind that the upper rating is more sales bs than anything - they are only reliable up to 85% of rated capacity. Beyond that they become "wonder wrenches", and should be calibrated annually. That means you would need two of each.

One important feature to consider is the clicker type of wrench - it allows you to reach the torque without having to look at an indicator.

In the end you will end up with all three automotive sizes plus that angle bs gauge.
I use a very old Craftsman 1/2" and two Tektons. I could also use a torque multiplayer for the 1/2" occasionally.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pittsburgh...lifetime warranty and u can get them at harbor freight and their website always on sale...I think I paid $25 for 180 ft lb torque wrench

Mr. 10K

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a sears craftsman one for years, 1/2 inch drive. Mine started at 10 ft lbs. I bought a new 1/2 inch one from Napa auto parts. Paid around $80.00. Works fine for what I do these days. Mostly check wheel lug tightness and simple stuff. Over the years the only things I've torqued were cylinder head bolts, intake manifolds, flywheels on standard transmission. I guess my arms and hands became a human torque wrench. Some people like to torque every bolt on a car. I was usually in too much of a hurry to look up specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I have 7 torque wrenches in my tool box currently though I don't use them for automotive needs but rather for my work (field electrical & iron work)

In my opinion for your needs Tecton & craftsman, I've used those two plus many more but those two brands seem to hold out the longest and while craftsman is easier to use the plastic parts on it wear out quicker making it harder to read the dials.

Currently I'm using 1/4" craftsmen, a tekton 3/8" & 1/2" drive wrenches for small jobs and a bessey JM-2000 (I think) 1" drive for big jobs but that one you need 2-3 guys & a 1/4" steel pipe to torque 1000+ ft/lbs. it did set me back $1799 4 years ago and constantly has to be recalibrated but it's a proven product and it's only going up in price

Ps. All my wrenches are click type I don't like the new digital type.

devadip

Reaction score
I have had old Craftsman beam type and Harbor Freight clickers. The Harbor Freight was very hard to read. I know have a range of Tekton clickers. They come with a nice case and much easier to read.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craftsman and Pittsburgh... both have lifetime warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pittsburgh...lifetime warranty and u can get them at harbor freight and their website always on sale...I think I paid $25 for 180 ft lb torque wrench

Mr. 10K

I will second that... I had mine tested to see how accurate it is. I was within 3%! 3% is irrelevant when it comes to that...

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Craftsman and Pittsburgh... both have lifetime warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Craftsman's lifetime warranty does not cover their torque wrenches. I've been down this road multiple times trying to return and its a no go. I've started using Pittsburgh because they seem to be accurate and no questions asked when I return them