What's the Limiting Factor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just curious to see if you had any updates on your trailer quest?

I have been towing a 3000lb hybrid camper for years with my 03 XLT FX4 with no issues, and now we are really wanting to get a bigger camper in the:

28-30' length and under 6k with it loaded - really want to stick to 5500 when loaded - that is why I like a few of the aluminum built campers.

Now after reading all these posts people have me worried.

Well... Yes and No... I'm getting very frustrated with looking at vehicles. I went to look at the Expedition EL I mentioned above that was supposed to have a 1520 lb payload, when I get there it was actually 1400 lbs. The truck needed tires, there was a rattle in the back somewhere and rubber gasket around the rear hatch lid was cracked and dry rotted. Pretty bad for a 2011. Then they offered me $14K for my 2011 Ford Taurus SEL which is basically perfect and has every option. I walked out of the dealership...

I posted my rants on facebook and low and behold a buddy of mine actually has an Expedition EL without the towing package, he installed the upgrades himself and is towing a 34' (hitch to bumper) 6800lb empty weight camper with it and says he has no issues what so ever and it does fine. Said he gets about 9 mpg while towing...

So we are somewhat back to the drawing board. I went to a local ford dealer to look at a new Expedition EL with the wife and talked to the fleet guy, who I basically knew more then, however he told me he wouldn't have an issue with me towing what I want to with the Expedition EL, he said he sets guys up with heavier springs and such and even a buddy of mine who does car work suggested some air bladders if I go down this road.

I really wished a truck would work for my family, but it simply won't for the 350 days a year I'm not towing with it. Considering a few Excursions, but anything decent is really expensive with the deisel engine, pretty reasonable with the V10 however with the V10 looking at 10-12 mpg on a normal basis...

Anyway, I think for what you are looking to tow, you will be perfectly fine...

Hope this helps...

LJ

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LJ, who are you using as the dealership up there? Masano bent over backwards for me back in '07 when I bought mine. They didn't have what I wanted and I sat down with the salesman(John) and we searched and searched until we found exactly what I wanted with all of the appropriate equipment. Mine ended up coming from somewhere in NJ and they were more than happy to ship it in on a flatbed. Then again, I was buying new and trading a 05 SCrew FX4 and a 04 Explorer on the Expy. Maybe that had something to do with it, but it was still a pleasurable experience!

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LJ, who are you using as the dealership up there? Masano bent over backwards for me back in '07 when I bought mine. They didn't have what I wanted and I sat down with the salesman(John) and we searched and searched until we found exactly what I wanted with all of the appropriate equipment. Mine ended up coming from somewhere in NJ and they were more than happy to ship it in on a flatbed. Then again, I was buying new and trading a 05 SCrew FX4 and a 04 Explorer on the Expy. Maybe that had something to do with it, but it was still a pleasurable experience!

Hey Dib...

Not any dealer in particular, just using autotrader for the most part to locate them. The dealer I mentioned above was Bergey's in Zeiglersville... I personally would not step foot on a Tom Masano lot... My brother bought a Mustang from them, he put an expensive stereo in it and when he took it back in for work, someone stole the whole stereo... Complete inside job, no wires were cut, nor was the dash, everything was taken apart nice and neat and then they fought and fought with him to pay him the insurance money and he did only wind up getting about 1/4 of what the stereo was worth. It was bad and the way the dealership handled the situation, left a very bad taste in my and my families mouth... Anyway...

I found an 08 in NJ that apparently has the HD tow package and a 1698 payload capacity. I asked the dealer to sent me a picture of the payload capacity sticker to verify this number and to give me an idea of trade in value of my car before I make the 2 hour drive...

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can see how that could leave a bad taste, just thought I'd mention that my experience was positive with them. Keep searching, they are out there, just sucks that most salesmen don't have the knowledge of the product line.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted my rants on facebook and low and behold a buddy of mine actually has an Expedition EL without the towing package, he installed the upgrades himself and is towing a 34' (hitch to bumper) 6800lb empty weight camper with it and says he has no issues what so ever and it does fine. Said he gets about 9 mpg while towing...

LJ

FWIW that's the route I plan on going. I picked up an EL without the HD towing package. My research shows that the suspension and hitch are the same across the board. All EL's come with 3.73 gears. So all I have to do is wire in a 7 pin plug, get the larger radiator, and the larger tranny cooler. My EL already has a tranny cooler, but Ford shows two different coolers. One is standard and one is super cooling.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can see how that could leave a bad taste, just thought I'd mention that my experience was positive with them. Keep searching, they are out there, just sucks that most salesmen don't have the knowledge of the product line.

Yeah, very frustrating, especially when I'm telling them the specs and then they check on it and confirm I'm right... :)

FWIW that's the route I plan on going. I picked up an EL without the HD towing package. My research shows that the suspension and hitch are the same across the board. All EL's come with 3.73 gears. So all I have to do is wire in a 7 pin plug, get the larger radiator, and the larger tranny cooler. My EL already has a tranny cooler, but Ford shows two different coolers. One is standard and one is super cooling.

Yeah, that's all my buddy did, added the wiring and the extra or a larger trans cooler, haven't talked to him much about it, but he seems happy with it. His is a 2010...

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all my buddy did, added the wiring and the extra or a larger trans cooler, haven't talked to him much about it, but he seems happy with it. His is a 2010...

I have an 08. I don't plan on towing anywhere near max anytime soon though. My boat is only around 5k.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 08. I don't plan on towing anywhere near max anytime soon though. My boat is only around 5k.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

I'm sure you will be fine. A camper is much different then a boat, I'm towing a camper a bit over 5K with my V6 Explorer right now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971