What's the Limiting Factor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the class III tow and the class IV tow? What difference is there then with the Heavy Duty tow package? Is something that just changed with wording from the 08 such as this one:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMFK20558LA01243

To one of the ones I may have listed earlier in this thread?

According to the literature.....The class III is the regular tow package with the 4 pin connector and the HD tow package comes with the class IV hitch with 4 pin and 7 pin connectors.

By the way, there are two different part numbers for the hitch assemblies ( w/o HD tow and with HD tow) so something has to be different.

Maybe Ford just decided lately it was cheaper in production to give them all the class IV hitch but you still have to pay extra for the rest of the HD tow package.

Matt

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

I beginning to think I'm not supposed to upgrade my vehicle or my camper...

I got an email this morning about this Expedition I was going to go look at and they told me they aren't going to retail it, said it needed about $2000 worth of work. The offered it to me at a lower price, but it needed major stuff. Exhause manifolds, axle seals... Anyway, sounds like it probably wasn't cared for the best so I'm going to pass...

I also found an 04 Excursion with a 6.0L deisel engine with 160K miles on it, but it was very reasonably priced and from the pictures looked new. My buddy was skeptical until I sent him the link. It was 2 and half to 3 hours away, I contacted the dealer for some more information and it was sold... Uggg...

There is another Expedition I have on the radar, so we'll see...

Back to the drawing board...

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, this isn't exactly the right spot I suppose, but can anyone give me any advice or direction to look for information regarding the Excursions? I'm looking at 2004 with the 6.0L TurboDiesle and I hear a bunch of mixed things from them that it is the best engine and it is the worst.

The Turbo and EGR was replaced in January of 2006 which I know is many of the issues, but then I found out that Ford may not have know about the true cause of the issue until 2009 - 2010. I want to act on the truck if this is decent, however don't want to buy it and then have a $3-$5K bill either...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks...

LJ

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
LJ, when it comes to the Excursion with the diesel in it, I have to ask you this: are you planning on chipping it to up the power? If you are planning on leaving it as is and being happy with the truck, then you are probably golden. But, if you plan on putting on power adders, this is going to be an expensive truck unless you stud the engine. The problem with the 6.0L block is the bolts that hold the heads to the block tend to stretch under high power conditions. This obviously causes leaks and puts fluids where they shouldn't be, leading to expensive failures. Now, I will admit, studding the engine is not an easy job nor is it a cheap thing. But, once you do it, 99% of the problems with the 6.0L motor go away.

So, your call. How do you plan on using/abusing the truck?

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LJ, when it comes to the Excursion with the diesel in it, I have to ask you this: are you planning on chipping it to up the power? If you are planning on leaving it as is and being happy with the truck, then you are probably golden. But, if you plan on putting on power adders, this is going to be an expensive truck unless you stud the engine. The problem with the 6.0L block is the bolts that hold the heads to the block tend to stretch under high power conditions. This obviously causes leaks and puts fluids where they shouldn't be, leading to expensive failures. Now, I will admit, studding the engine is not an easy job nor is it a cheap thing. But, once you do it, 99% of the problems with the 6.0L motor go away.

So, your call. How do you plan on using/abusing the truck?

It "tuning" the same as chiping? Either way I don't plan on putting any kind of crazy performance items on it. My wife will use this for groceries when we are towing a camper or going on a trip. I would probably leaving it stock...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
LJ, yes, a chip, there are some other programmers out there. But even something as simple as upgrading the exhaust to something less restrictive (makes the turbo spin faster and therefore makes more boost, more boost means more power).

If you keep it stock, you will be golden. But, keep in mind, that if you start looking at power upgrades, the first on the list should be studding the engine. That will save you a lot of headache in the future.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LJ, yes, a chip, there are some other programmers out there. But even something as simple as upgrading the exhaust to something less restrictive (makes the turbo spin faster and therefore makes more boost, more boost means more power).

If you keep it stock, you will be golden. But, keep in mind, that if you start looking at power upgrades, the first on the list should be studding the engine. That will save you a lot of headache in the future.

Thanks...

Yeah, I have been reading some things about studing the engine and such, I may do that down the road if I keep it long term, which normally I keep my vehicles for a while...

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just buy an Excursion?

Why all the fuss? You like the EL version. So buy an Excursion... With a v10 or a diesel you will have plenty of payload... Isnt that the best way to fix this?

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoa - wait a min

Wow, you guys are missing something that's a LOT more important than how much power and what weight ratings vehicles have. It's wheelbase. Going by the 3rd gen specs:

Std Expedition: 119" - can tow a 22' trailer safely
EL Expedition: 131" - can tow a 25' trailer safely

Depending on the type of hitch you use, you "may" be able to adjust those parameters a little. It would be a real good idea to read the following and / or do some research on safely towing a trailer. RV dealers want to sell you whatever they can. Most people focus on weight and weight ratings rather than what really maters with safe towing.

http://www.slaga.net/RV/How to Tow-version 2.pdf

Stay away from the 30' trailers guys with Expeditions.

Cheers,
Tom

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
.you're replying to a post its over 7 months old