What's the real reason why my 03 Expedition is limited to only 3.5 lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So as I looked under my Expedition on a car lift I decided to look and try to see why my 03 Expedition is only limited to these 3.5 lifts.
BC the uppers and lowers can be modified/fabricated .The steering linkage can also be modified. The spindle can be swapped out for a extended spindle .
So the only reason that I could figure out that would REALLY stop it being lifted to a certain height say around 8 inches is the axles.
At some point the pinion angle in the axles will be to much and could cause bad vibration in the joint area.
So therefore you would need extended axles .

So with that being said then I'd say that the axles would be the stopping point after u reach a certain height.

So am I correct or am I missing/not seeing something ??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 03 expedition is antthing like the Explorers, then you are right. Too much lift and the CV joints will bind and not be able to do their jobs (they could break or at the very least wear out quickly) The cures for that that I have seen are to relocate the control arms and "lower" the differential in relation to the frame to get the axles more horizontal in relation to the ground.
I know it's a very old thread but I hate unanswered questions.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you lower the diff, wouldn't that obviate the whole point of the lift; increased ground clearance?

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most lifts are done to make room for bigger tires, which then provide better ground clearance. A lift with factory size tires would provide little extra ground clearance.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lift doesn't actually create any increase in ground clearance. The lowest parts on your vehicle remain the same, ie differential on a solid axle, lower control arm on an independent suspension. While a lift does change your approach, descent, and brake over angles the only way that you can actually gain "lift" is by increasing your tire diameter.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ALL vehicles are limited to that level of suspension lift --- in some places, it's actually by state law

It's a safety thing

Btw, going to 35" tires on a 3.5" suspension lift will give you ~ +5" actual height

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only because an aftermarket company hasn't made a larger one for it.

Funny how the market standardizes a lot of things.

Someone has done some crazy lifts!

The Peterson's Off Road and other magazines always had people doing crazy custom stuff.
You would soon need aftermarket cv shafts or at least some sort of "extender".

I once had a 79 F350 with 11 inch metal blocks in the rear. Backyard cheap job but it was really lifted.
6 inch body too. 17 total . With 44s and room to spare. You could push a full size grocery cart under the side.
The bottom of rear bumper was 36 inches from ground.

Jeep grand cherokees were hard to lift at first due to coil springs then they made ways.

I have a 98 Durango wih 38s and a Tuff Country 5.5 suspension and 6 inch body on it.

Last edited:

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ALL vehicles are limited to that level of suspension lift --- in some places, it's actually by state law

It's a safety thing

Btw, going to 35" tires on a 3.5" suspension lift will give you ~ +5" actual height

are you saying that ground clearance at the differential will increase by about 5"?

ogre20012001

Reaction score
Another big issue with newer expedition and explorers is the rear cv shafts run thought the frame. So if you want bigger lifts you have to relocate the rear differential below the frame and that equates out to about a 8” lift.
Rize made 8” lifts for the expedition for a while, but no longer do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk