Wheel offsets with A/T tires...pics please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slipstream

Reaction score
So I decided to make our 19 Limited Special Ed package, which serves as a family weekend adventure vehicle a little more off-road friendly.

Front air dam is off and skid plates are on order so the focus is now on a new wheel/tire package.
I decided to keep it at stock height so thinking of simply replacing the stock 22" with and 18" wheel (18x9) and 275/65R18 All-Terrain tires...looking at Toyo Open Country AT3s at the moment.

I am having a hard time choosing the "right" offset for wheels....I like the look of the aggressive stance on a proper 'off-roader' like Bronco or Wrangler, but not sure if I would like it on an Expy. I am currently thinking of going with a relatively mild stance and offset somewhere in the range of 0-20mm (I believe the stock 22 is 44mm on 9.5" rim)

For those of you who have done this, I would love to see some pics from the front or rear of your setups and hear some general opinions on this.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
please don't change the offset based on appearance. Offset is a functional attribute, not a cosmetic one.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I decided to make our 19 Limited Special Ed package, which serves as a family weekend adventure vehicle a little more off-road friendly.

Front air dam is off and skid plates are on order so the focus is now on a new wheel/tire package.
I decided to keep it at stock height so thinking of simply replacing the stock 22" with and 18" wheel (18x9) and 275/65R18 All-Terrain tires...looking at Toyo Open Country AT3s at the moment.

I am having a hard time choosing the "right" offset for wheels....I like the look of the aggressive stance on a proper 'off-roader' like Bronco or Wrangler, but not sure if I would like it on an Expy. I am currently thinking of going with a relatively mild stance and offset somewhere in the range of 0-20mm (I believe the stock 22 is 44mm on 9.5" rim)

For those of you who have done this, I would love to see some pics from the front or rear of your setups and hear some general opinions on this.
Please take these as nothing other than pictures to show you what +10 looks like on a 20x9 on 275/55/20 Geolander ATs. You will notice this is a 2016 on stock height and that the front wheels seem to stick WAYYY out. This is due to the change in the way the front fenders kind of curve in towards the engine as they get closer to the front bumper. I had no problems with rubbing or trimming. Looks great in person and my wife always gets compliments on how it looks (when it’s not filthy lol)
8A783797-54D0-4006-A213-7C049A8E351D.jpeg 596DA02C-D1AE-482A-A24F-15AC1CB54F2F.jpeg 5ECA0FF1-5211-48A6-9628-5C896B2C0239.jpeg DC656C85-F5FD-4FD7-A685-2744E1CC0381.jpeg

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I would also recommend going to customwheeloffsets.com And looking at their gallery of expeditions and F-150s to get an idea of how your desired setup will look

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a personal fan of tire poke, due to the look and the real (or imagined) stress to the drive-line components and Service Managers.

However, I might consider--if I found the right rim--a combination that might push out the setup 5-10mm, but mainly to make sure a slightly larger cleared w/o rubbing during turning and articulation.

The first thing I would do would be add thin spacers to my factory FX4 rims to make sure I got it right the first time.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a personal fan of tire poke, due to the look and the real (or imagined) stress to the drive-line components and Service Managers.

However, I might consider--if I found the right rim--a combination that might push out the setup 5-10mm, but mainly to make sure a slightly larger cleared w/o rubbing during turning and articulation.

The first thing I would do would be add thin spacers to my factory FX4 rims to make sure I got it right the first time.
Yeah a lot of ppl just add washers to studs in driveway to see how far they wanna go

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

"tire poke"? as in "poking out"?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
apparently not as common as you seem to think...

but thanks for the attempted put down. now I know my place.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
apparently not as common as you seem to think...

but thanks for the attempted put down. now I know my place.

Wasn’t a put down, just an answer. Did not intend it in any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro