When do you use the door code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the key pad all the time. Used a mirror to easily access sticker w/the #'s, also I read instructions to program custom code (in the manual). Use it every day getting in and and locking or just needing to open the rear hatch or glass.

I have a 2nd gen so no press button start. I do have a spare house and truck key hidden inside. I do find the keypad very helpful though.

Just a note, and this thread was sort of a reminder - I'm down to one key fob and even though I rarely use it I need to buy two 4-button fobs before this one goes bye bye. Have two factory keys but also thinking of making tow more copies since you do have to have two of those to copy.

And yes, I do believe the alarm, or rather engine disable system is enabled with the keypad.

Wait...you choose to press buttons on your door vs a single button on the lift gate to a open the glass? Why?

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait...you choose to press buttons on your door vs a single button on the lift gate to a open the glass? Why?

No sir. I use the pad to unlock the truck w/out the key and press the button underneath on the hatch if I choose to not use the fob. :drink_nl:

IIRC, there is not a way to open the glass w/out using the button above the license plate...

My last '01 had a key I believe you could turn one way to unlock the hatch and the other direction to just unlock the glass.

Had to replace that slotted aluminum part to make it work that hangs on to the cable. What a PITA!

LOL! I just noticed you are 4 in your stats.

carymccarrFull Access Members

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No sir. I use the pad to unlock the truck w/out the key and press the button underneath on the hatch if I choose to not use the fob. :drink_nl:

IIRC, there is not a way to open the glass w/out using the button above the license plate...

My last '01 had a key I believe you could turn one way to unlock the hatch and the other direction to just unlock the glass.

Had to replace that slotted aluminum part to make it work that hangs on to the cable. What a PITA!

LOL! I just noticed you are 4 in your stats.

carymccarrFull Access Members

Gotcha. I usually have my key or at least my phone in my pocket so that unlocks the vehicle when I touch it...

Steven H

Reaction score
I use the key pad all the time. Used a mirror to easily access sticker w/the #'s, also I read instructions to program custom code (in the manual). Use it every day getting in and and locking or just needing to open the rear hatch or glass.

I have a 2nd gen so no press button start. I do have a spare house and truck key hidden inside. I do find the keypad very helpful though.

Just a note, and this thread was sort of a reminder - I'm down to one key fob and even though I rarely use it I need to buy two 4-button fobs before this one goes bye bye. Have two factory keys but also thinking of making tow more copies since you do have to have two of those to copy.

And yes, I do believe the alarm, or rather engine disable system is enabled with the keypad.

Be aware that while using a custom programed code is nice--easier to remember--it will disappear if you have to replace the battery or your mechanic disconnects it for other service work. The system will erase any "custom" code programed, and revert to the original hard programed code. (so it's useful to know the original code too. That's why I just use the original code, so I don't have to remember two codes.)