When running with VCTS's disconnected for diagnosis...........?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1TonFordGuy

Reaction score
I watched a youtube video by FordTechMakuloco on diagnosing a sticking VCT solenoid. I was getting a p0012 code along with a rough idle. Intake valve timing retarded bank one. So I unplug the VCT's and no more P0012(or is it 21?). That gave me the obvious open loop fault and on top of that it gave me a p0420 unburned catalyst or something like that. Is that synonymous with unplugging the VCT's? The idle is not rough, but still a very subtle shake.

Also, if the p0012 code disappears shall I assume the issue is the VCTS sticking? When I erase the code the engine runs smooth until the VCTS sticks again. I just want to make sure I am going through the full diagnosis process for this system before replacing parts in vain. The motor sounds nice and smooth except for the rough idle. Still have yet to check the oil pressure at hot idle. Is this necessary?

Thanks!