When selling cars, how do you get paid safely, anyway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
In March I flew to a suburb of San Francisco to buy my 2011 EL. I had $15,000 cash on me. I showed up at his house at 10pm, gave him the cash and he signed the title over to me. Easy as pie. I found the ad through Craiglist.
There have been quite a few cases of law enforcement confiscating large sums of cash under the guise that "it must be drug money". Sometimes you can get it back

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been quite a few cases of law enforcement confiscating large sums of cash under the guise that "it must be drug money". Sometimes you can get it back

Yep I think they call that a civil seizure or something. You can sue the law enforcement agency for the money back plus damages if they did it under unjust cause. They need to hope they have good cause or it’s a lose in court.

Last edited:

Mackenzie Gans

Reaction score

I made sure to have all the paperwork on hand to indicate why I had such a large sum of money on hand. It never came up.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got nothing to really add other than this; Everything in life is situationally dependant. I saw a Kaw triple ad just yesterday..(https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/marlton-1974-kawasaki-s1-mach-triple/6949160362.html) for a bike that is fairly popular with OLDER riders/collectors.....it's also listed in one of the worst areas in Baltimore for GSW's...Cherry Hill!

These two things....this bike.....and this location....These things do not go together. The ad seems legit, saying the right stuff.....but is it really an ad listed by the seller or one copied to use as bait? A quick search using "Search all CL" progs tells me no....not a copied ad but it's amazing if you buy bikes, how often your find it's BS.

Use your head and follow your instincts....and really follow them....they typically know the situation better then your emotional side.

Last thing....Beta's(you know who you are) should have a buddy with him buying or selling. A predator can see it in your eyes....you can't hide it, not from someone looking for it!

jeff

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new catchphrase has become "Everything is relative". Most things in life depend on the situation.
Maybe that's why the world is so messed up currently and people don't get along. People of the past seem to have a lot more common sense and logical thinking and reasoning skills. Today, people have you lost the skill or don't bother to try to see another way or Viewpoint, or are just so entitled and self-absorbed that their way is the only way.

I think we're all guilty of some of this from time to time but some people it seems to be all they can do.

I still find deals on Craigslist but man it is the worst. Every time you post an ad on there you'll get a minimum of three fake email inquiries just trying to get your real email address.
Still lots of the too-good-to-be-true deals popping up which are.

Plati

Reaction score
Different scenario. Buddy wanted to sell his Harley $20k on Craigslist. Guy out if town sets up deal and my buddy drives couple hundred miles with bike and wife in car to return home. Yes he's a nice person.

Gets there and guy starts playing games with price. Deal falls through. A hole.

I was selling my snowmobile last year on Craigslist. Buyers all try to lower the price until I started saying forget it, I'll have it sold today then suddenly willing to pay asking price. Buyer told me his name and info so I googled him and he was a cop and had been in the news for being injured during arrest. Next time on the phone I sneakily inquired about that and he had details. I bent over backwards to work with him and get him the machine! All cash deal

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got nothing to really add other than this; Everything in life is situationally dependant. I saw a Kaw triple ad just yesterday..(https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/marlton-1974-kawasaki-s1-mach-triple/6949160362.html) for a bike that is fairly popular with OLDER riders/collectors.....it's also listed in one of the worst areas in Baltimore for GSW's...Cherry Hill!

I'm pretty sure thats Cherry Hill New Jersey.

but is it really an ad listed by the seller or one copied to use as bait? A quick search using "Search all CL" progs tells me no....not a copied ad but it's amazing if you buy bikes, how often your find it's BS.

South Jersey Craigslist, same exact 4 day old ad
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/marlton-1974-kawasaki-s1-mach-triple/6949160488.html

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm more impressed by the quantity of buy-a-fake-VIN-report scammers

Although yeah, Craigslist sure is getting odd

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have an area in the parking lot of the Daly City Police station to handle internet transactions. It's 2 spots that are under the watch of a camera. It's a great scammers deterrent. Large dollar item sales, you might be able to get a police officer to come down. It was put in about 5 years ago. Pretty cool idea.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Different scenario. Buddy wanted to sell his Harley $20k on Craigslist. Guy out if town sets up deal and my buddy drives couple hundred miles with bike and wife in car to return home. Yes he's a nice person.

Gets there and guy starts playing games with price. Deal falls through. A hole.

I was selling my snowmobile last year on Craigslist. Buyers all try to lower the price until I started saying forget it, I'll have it sold today then suddenly willing to pay asking price. Buyer told me his name and info so I googled him and he was a cop and had been in the news for being injured during arrest. Next time on the phone I sneakily inquired about that and he had details. I bent over backwards to work with him and get him the machine! All cash deal

I learned a long time ago NEVER drive to meet someone with car unless it is a blocks from your house....then it's a good idea.
But never wast time.
Many people do this on purpose knowing that once you have invested the time you are more likely to come down on price instead of driving it back home.

Never NEED to sell anything and act like it.