When to purchase extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Just saying, for what its worth, normally I don't promote car dealers as they usually suck. But if you are in Wisconsin, see how close you are to a Lenz Truck dealer. My Expedition is covered to 157,000 miles with the extended warranty, no deductible. For anything, I just hand off the keys, they give me keys to a loaner and call when they are done. They also know how to fix the whatzits no code stuff. 6+ months in, 1 major system malfunction, and the rear wiper everything replaced, no charge. They take real good care of me hope it stays that way. Now this accident, the drunk S.O.B. who hit me head on, that's another matter and I dread it. Especially since I have the paint issue on the now slightly bent hood, and lift gate. The body shop is going to need to order a new painted hood from Ford, as fixing the existing one is not an option due to the iron issue paint failure problem. They will replace it, as Ford will tell me to F off since it has been in a accident I reckon. I dread this!!!!

20191006_175836 (2).jpg

20191006_175740.jpg

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question on the ford ESP rules. When you get quotes, they all ask if your vehicle will be used for commercial purposes, which it won't. But I'm currently looking at a used 2018 Expy Platinum that's unfortunately 1200 miles from me (as i can't find any with the exact options I want used close) so right now it's sight unseen. With that said, its from Canada (although now being sold in a US dealership in the northwest) and carfax says the owner was "Commercial Vehicle". Anyone know if ford will cross check the VIN and prevent me from putting an ESP on this? I've actually always told myself I won't buy a fleet/rental vehicle as I know most people don't take care of them. So this scares the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks out of me.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The commercial thing I have no idea about, my guess it will be a problem but you're likely going to need to call and provide a VIN to be certain.

The rental thing...I likely would not purchase one in most cases. However....a 2018 expedition platinum isn't a cheap car, has an expected level of fit and function which needs to be maintained at a certain level and generally isnt the type of vehicle you just launch from light to light as even as quick as they are for an SUV they aren't impressive to most that havent owned a prior model. A 2019 Camry will outrun it... Renters still have to buy gas for the thirsty beast and under full boost you'll need buckets of fuel if its a regular thing and I'm not sure if you've been to Canada but they make california gas prices look reasonable. You can easily approach $6 a gallon up there for premium. That's closing in on a $200 fill up. If it's not a high mileage example and looks to be decent w a fair price I would venture to say it's worth a look if you are having trouble finding something closer.

I almost flew from Indy to San Jose to buy a 15 year old buick regal a few years ago. I understand not being able to find exactly what you want. If you happen across a 2006 Saab 9-2x Aero w a manual as well as the premium and cold weather packages let me know. Lol. Been looking for a couple years. Only about 200 were ever made and 1 year only. It's easier to buy a Bugatti than a clean, unmodified 92x aero.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the response, I asked the dealer for more details if they can provide them, but given that this vehicle looks to have been bought at auction in Canada, and brought to this dealer in Portland, I bet details will be hard to get. It's just a really good price for exactly what I'm looking for, can't stop thinking about it.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those Canadian vechicles go for way cheaper at auction and I assume it’s for that reason and I don’t know how importing it messes with the initial warranty.

Personally I’d skip the Canadian one.

yellowlight

Reaction score
From my 2005 toyota I was also offered to avail an extended warranty and I did. In my opinion, it is just not worth it. The warranty I paid for is less than the repair I availed :(.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always at least broken even with an extended warranty, some cases much better. I came out like a bandit on a 2012 Jeep. I broke even on a 2008 Sequoia, but repaired one or 2 things I wouldn't have bothered repairing. I did buy a warranty on my Navigator because of the complexity of these vehicles. Time will tell if it was a smart move.

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
Are people purchasing these prior to the expiration of the manufactures warranty or are you purchasing them after hitting 36K? I currently have 32k on my vehicle and am contemplating getting an extended warranty from flood.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must purchase before 3 years/36,000 miles. Otherwise, the purchase requires a mechanical inspection and is much more difficult to get.