When to replace brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expy 4WD with 45,000 miles with mostly freeway driving (actually a lot of freeway driving) and light load and no towing. How long do the brakes last before I have to replace them? Right now, the brakes work just like it was when I bought the Expy new. Little apprehensive about getting a "brake inspection" as I'm sure the shop will say it needs replacing.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Definitely one of the easier things to inspect yourself, and you can check out the outer pad without even pulling the wheels off. Often times the inner pads wear slightly quicker than the outer, so it's ideal to check both sides. If you're not able to remove the wheels, doing the outer check is better than nothing.

There's no dedicated mileage or time, everyone is going to be different. You can post a picture here if you're concerned or think you have a problem, it's easy to see how much pad life is left.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have almost 42k on my 2018 and it's time for me. But I drive mostly city. I took a look at them and it's time

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found on my 2018 that I had to do the rear brakes twice and just did the fronts (rotors and pads) in Feb for the first time since I got it in 2018. I have 185,000 km.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 60kish on my expedition and the fronts were fine but the back had been replaced. I used ceramic rears when I did it and they were lasting much better. The stocks appeared to be an organic compound which tends to wear quickly. My fronts still looked good at 60k miles.

If you have the 22" wheels you can probably see the pads well enough to know. Maybe stick your camera in and post a picture and someone can help you. Pads really are pretty easy to do on these.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing my pads right now... Here is rear after 42k

Attachments

• 20230302_093610.jpg
    20230302_093610.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 65

Jerald Cook

Reaction score
I'm at 43k on my 2020 and my front pads are still at 9mm and the rears at 7mm, though I tend to be quite easy on brakes. Brake wear can vary quite a bit and the only way to know is to check for yourself. Amazon sells brake pad gauges for $10.