When to trade in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klimford

Reaction score
Our 2020 Expy has 30K miles on it, half from weekly trips to town and half from towing a 6,000# travel trailer. It performs flawlessly and tows effortlessly. But, thinking ahead, what would be the optimal mileage or age to trade this 2020 in for a new one?

Team_Z

Reaction score
I personally get rid of my vehicles between 36-50k miles. Which is almost ever 1.5-2 years. It’s always worked great for me.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford carries warranties up to 60,000 KM (Canada) and 100,000km power train km.

Value holds most when factory warranties are still intact.

That said, we have 27k miles on the truck right now, our new SPP is scheduled for build 5/30. Hopefully we get it sometime this year, I'd expect our current to have in the 30k-40k range depending. We still are receiving near same value from what we originally paid for it when trade in comes.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We drive our vehicles forever. I drove our Taurus X for 8 years. My husband's daily driver/farm truck is a 93' F150 extended cab with nearly 300,000 miles. The Max we just purchased I'm planning on driving for at least 8 to 10 years. The "good pickup" is an 09 we've had for 9 years. Are we doing it wrong?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the most part, we have always driven our vehicles for as long as they're dependable, still meet our needs, and the operational costs do not approach the amount of a payment. Typically that has been between five and nine years. Even if we considered replacing either of our vehicles with the latest version, many of the "features" included on our vehicles have been "de-contented," and we'd end up paying more and getting less in return.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depreciation is a curve, essentially you lose the most absolute value within the first 3 years, the curve then starts to flatten. a decent rule of thumb is 12%-15% depreciation yearly.
Maintenance is typically the inverse, items wear faster over time, so the first 3-4 years are the most reliable, at year 4-5 you’ll see more maintenance due (same at year 7-8). Maintenance as a % of vehicle price can usually be calculated as 1% the first year doubling every year. For example year 1 on a 60000 vehicle might run $600, where year 4 the same vehicle might be worth 36k but you might expect to spend more like 3k in maintenance.
These are all estimates. Actual values vary, but decent for budgeting.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2020 Expy has 30K miles on it, half from weekly trips to town and half from towing a 6,000# travel trailer. It performs flawlessly and tows effortlessly. But, thinking ahead, what would be the optimal mileage or age to trade this 2020 in for a new one?
Well, you have to find something to buy which could be a chore these days. With only 30K on it I'd run it to 45K as dealers can certify it for resale. After 50K it seems the value drops a bunch.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^ not always wise. There may be equity in a vehicle, better finance rate on a new, calculate minatenance etc.

Sometimes it right to time the used market when your existing retains the most value

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trade it in?? No, no, no. You drive it until the wheels fall off and sell it to the wrecking yard. Or you drive it until you need something different (like more towing capacity).
Yep - recently sold my last Expedition with 266k miles. Great vehicle. I think I got my moneys worth. Have a new Timberline - we'll see what the future holds.