where do I start to make my expedition water ready?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IL67BP

Reaction score
I am looking to be able to go through some decently high water when off roading. I have a 3 inch BL and 35's the intake is already pretty high so I will worry about the snorkel last. I was wondering where to start with vent hoses and such. Are they any electronics that need to be protected that are below the intake? Thanks for the help

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ideas:
Electric cooling fans that you can turn off. The stock fan can churn

Extend the axle vent lines up as high as possible and loop them back down a few inches. (keeps the water out)

Dab some rtv sealant around the connections of any low vacuum lines. If they suck water, well, it's bad.

Keep all joints, bushings, etc well greased.

Rtv around the plug boots will keep water from getting in and shorting the leads.

And depending how deep you go, rtv around the firewall grommets will help keep you dry. I also have a buddy who lightly coates the door seals with white lithium grease to help them seal. (never tried it though, my Scout wasn't exactly waterproof)

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plugs and coils on the Triton's are extremely susceptible to water! You need to make sure the coils are well protected from water otherwise they'll short out and get destroyed. I've fried mine just by driving on the highway during heavy rains. Do what Tonydiv said to do, but double and triple check to make sure the coils and plugs are going to stay dry.