Where does the oil go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My Lincoln 4.6l DOHC takes 6qts. However, 7qts to bring up to full. How much would you put in? My Expedition burns a little, when using 5W20(1/2 qt every 800mi). I switched to 5W30 and 0W30 and it cut that in half. Changing the PCV valve helps. Leaving the dip stick slightly out, vents the crankcase. I was told it prevents, excessive blow by, building up in the engine. The manual says oil should only be in 'normal' range and never above. It should be checked after waiting 15 minutes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How far are you pulling out dipstick? Machete, be glad you didn't buy one. Mine was a Weaver/wobbler above 85 or so. Almost threw me off at 125. That was enough to put it up for sale. Aparently Yamaha offset the rear wheel 10mm from the front, who does assanine things like that. The bike literally ran down the road dog legged. It was gorgeous looking though, big v4 motor, small fake tank, and two big snorkels on each side of that fake tank. Pretty trick stuff for 1989. The 2019 model would eat it for lunch, with more than 50 horsepower over the 135 mine had. Sorta like the 400 hp twin turbo 3.5 does to my 260 hp first edition.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
192,***. No blowby. No leaks. I’m gonna change plugs when I get back they have about 80k miles on em.

Today I replaced the battery, the motorcraft battery I had was about to die it’s 4 1/2 years old.

I know I have good compression due to low oil consumption.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My 2000 has about 250,000 miles with no oil consumption or leaks at all. But then a head gasket started leaking just a bit of water over the starter. That was the beginning of the end... I don't know if the 3V motors carry on the same.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not true with all due respect. The proper level is at either the minimum dot ( not low) or maximum dot (not overfilled) and anywhere in between.

Oil consumption vs leak is normal on all engines including 4th generation Ecoboost, thus the common use of catch cans for direct injection Ford Ecoboost.

It’s quite normal to consume oil when driving constantly for hours at high speed. In fact it’s normal for these engines to consume about a quart or so depending on viscosity between oil changes approximately 5000 mi.

My question is where does the consumed oil go? Or what exactly happens to it?

I believe now that I’ve researched any normal blow-by is processed by the pcv to crankcase circulation and combusted in the cylinders but not sure.

Not exactly "proper" level but acceptable range.
Anywhere between the dots is considered ok for operation.
There is some discrepancy with ford dipsticks though.
If you look up what Ford says a 2000 5.4 holds (same for 6.8s) and put that much in...it will barely be past the low dot and into the safe crosshatch area.
Many like to have it on the full mark after an oil change.
So are we actually overfilling it?
I care little what Ford says but that gets us into a whole other critical debate about people having faith in manufacturer statements.

Some engines will use more oil when they are fuller than when no so full
Detroit diesels like 8v71 arr known for this.
They use a gallon quickly and then use very little.
I had a 40ft MCI for 3-4 years. I think it held 7 or 8 gallons!!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm reaching here, but do you think the diesel went through more oil when full due to weak rings, and more oil pressure from the extra 4 quarts?

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Not exactly "proper" level but acceptable range.
Anywhere between the dots is considered ok for operation.
There is some discrepancy with ford dipsticks though.
If you look up what Ford says a 2000 5.4 holds (same for 6.8s) and put that much in...it will barely be past the low dot and into the safe crosshatch area.
Many like to have it on the full mark after an oil change.
So are we actually overfilling it?
I care little what Ford says but that gets us into a whole other critical debate about people having faith in manufacturer statements.

Some engines will use more oil when they are fuller than when no so full
Detroit diesels like 8v71 arr known for this.
They use a gallon quickly and then use very little.
I had a 40ft MCI for 3-4 years. I think it held 7 or 8 gallons!!!

I use 6 quarts on each change and it marks right in middle of minimum and maximum dots.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use 6 quarts on each change and it marks right in middle of minimum and maximum dots.
That's what most people say it does when they put the recommended full capacity of 6 quarts in. It puts either at a quarter to half way to the middle of the safe area. It's just that a lot of people insist on having it all the way to the full Mark after an oil change. I'm the same way so I always add that extra half quart.
Once again I don't give the manufacturers or ford too much credit because they actually had a recall for a dipstick a few years back. They installed the wrong dipstick or the dipsticks were the wrong length and we're not showing correctly when the proper level was added. You got to go in and get a new dipstick with the round Loop instead of the T handle if I remember correctly in the van chassis.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm reaching here, but do you think the diesel went through more oil when full due to weak rings, and more oil pressure from the extra 4 quarts?

From everything I've read it's just a common characteristic of the 8v71s.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh really about the dipsticks. I have the T one, and seem to always add oil. Thanks Toby, I'm going to look into that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze