Where does this go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skud

Reaction score
Took this picture a while back when I was checking the oil for the first time. What is this hose/tube sticking through the dipstick handle? Seems like some sort of vent tube or something? I pulled it out to check the oil and it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere else - like it's formed into where it is - so I can't really tell where it should go? There is a plastic push pin that should hold it to something else - but I can't tell where?

IMG_7547.jpeg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took this picture a while back when I was checking the oil for the first time. What is this hose/tube sticking through the dipstick handle? Seems like some sort of vent tube or something? I pulled it out to check the oil and it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere else - like it's formed into where it is - so I can't really tell where it should go? There is a plastic push pin that should hold it to something else - but I can't tell where?

View attachment 75964

You did not post the year, make, model and equipment of your vehicle (such as 4WD) - but I’d bet that is the vent for the front differential (which should be mounted in a vertical position).

OP
OP
S

Skud

Reaction score
Sorry.

2022 Expedition Max Stealth Performance 4WD.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
You did not post the year, make, model and equipment of your vehicle (such as 4WD) - but I’d bet that is the vent for the front differential (which should be mounted in a vertical position).
I would be massively surprised if they made the vent that high up.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s the transfer case vent. It ends like that up as high as possible but usually is attached to the firewall near the brake booster / master cylinder. It’s not going to damage anything like that so you have time to get it re routed but just make sure it’s not too close to the exhaust system / turbo on the side of the engine since it should run up and out to the side of the vehicle and not that close to the engine.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s the transfer case vent. It ends like that up as high as possible but usually is attached to the firewall near the brake booster / master cylinder. It’s not going to damage anything like that so you have time to get it re routed but just make sure it’s not too close to the exhaust system / turbo on the side of the engine since it should run up and out to the side of the vehicle and not that close to the engine.

The vent hose is often held in a vertical position by a black plastic circular clip that snaps into a nearby hole.

Did you have any work done recently? Mechanics often move them (or break the plastic clips) when they are working to beat the clock for flat rate work.

OP
OP
S

Skud

Reaction score
The vent hose is often held in a vertical position by a black plastic circular clip that snaps into a nearby hole.

Did you have any work done recently? Mechanics often move them (or break the plastic clips) when they are working to beat the clock for flat rate work.

Nothing under the hood anyways (I had some tires balanced). I suspect it's been this way from new.

It was on chip hold for a bit. Maybe it was moved during the work to install whatever modules were missing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze