Where is the air suspension relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my expedition and had my tires replaced. My friend informed me that mine has the air ride suspension. I don't have money for the Monroe strut and spring swap so I just want to to test the compressor to make sure it is the relay that is bad. He said the bags all looked fine, but they couldn't hear the compressor start up at all. I found a 70A square relay right on top of the compressor but the computer at the store was telling my friend something totally different. Does anyone know where I can find the relay? Have any pictures or part numbers I can see?

Thanks

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2005 EB 4x4

Kawi_200 first thing to check is if the switch is turned on. Open up your hatch on the left hand side in the little compartment on the left is a switch that controls the air system. Make sure that switch is on. If it is, start your engine and put a jack under the frame near the front or back wheel and lift slightly. You should hear the compressor turn on and you can see the vehicle level itself.

OP
OP
K

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the hint. That is definitely on my to do list, probably tonight when i get home from work. The only thing making me think it is not working is that the car is sitting lower in the back and people have said that is how it sits when the bags are deflated. I've also noticed it rubs the tires if I turn the wheels to the maximum ability.

I also was reading that there is a switch in the passenger footwell and people tend to kick it off accidentally. I'll check the cargo left side first. If the air was off wouldn't there be a warning light? Unless of course, the rpevious owner disabled the light somehow, but everything is completely stock from what I can tell.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '05 does not have a switch in the passenger footwell - at least non that I've seen. Some older models had fuel shut off inertia switch in the footwell that cuts off the fuel pump if you are in a wreck.

This excerpt from the owner's manual may help you.

Attachments

• Air Suspension 05 Expedition Owner's Manual.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 79
B

bedrck46

Andy you are correct. On earlier years the switch was located in the front Not sure when Ford relocated it to the rear but on the 05 it is in the rear

OP
OP
K

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the switch in the rear no problem. It was on, but I fiddled with it and started the expy. The compressor came on and the front end went up, not sure about the rear though. I'll have to try the jack on one side to see if the rear will self level. Thanks for the advice :)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to raise it very high, just an inch or two should do it and you can keep the engine off as the compressor will run with the key in the on position.

OP
OP
K

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pdf file expeditionandy posted says that in 4Low the air lifts to max height and holds there. I just put the key on, put in 4Low, closed the door, and watched the front lift then the rear. I guess it sounds like everything is working fine. Maybe just a loose/bad connection somewhere and I jiggled it enough to work. Or the relay contacts were dirty and when my friend cleaned them it worked. Thanks all, especially Andy.