Where to put the 4-channel stereo amp? 2013 Exp. Ltd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskytom

Reaction score
Hi all,
Saw post on the subject and realize it’s been several years back, but I have the same dilemma with my 2013 Limited and finding a place to put my aftermarket amp for my new head unit.

My factory amp is in the dash behind/below the radio and can’t seem to find a place for my larger class A/B amp. An alternative is to go with something that’ll fit like a motorcycle amp, but I'm not immediately inclined go out an buy one.

I can’t do under front seats due to vents. 2nd row seats location too far back to cable and cramped the seats are folded down. I heard about behind the glovebox, but there’s no way.

Somebody said somewhere there room inside the console but haven’t torn into that yet.
Was really hoping to find a spot for my class AB but it’s going to get warm and it’s a bigger guy at 9.25 x 13.8 x 2.4.

Any thoughts/direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends how small your amp is...i took out my rear sub and put 1-ch and 4-ch in there with a fan...i've also put a 4-ch in the rear where the tire change rod goes...depends on size of amp and they're getting small with a lot of power now

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a fairly big amp to try and conceal. Under seat isn't really an option if you ever plan to fold them all flat and still use the amp. AB get warm easily as you've already stated.

As much as you don't want to purchase a new one if your desire is concealment that would be my recommendation. Depending on the power we're talking about you could easily move to an amp as little as a 1/8 of that overall size and open up several opportunities for placement including inside the dash cavity.

Both of our trucks use this space. An Alpine Powerpack in one and a Kicker Key 200 in the other. Open the door and the only giveaway anything at all has been done is the aftermarket radio. All else remains stock appearance wise.

What amp and speakers are you currently trying to use?

OP
OP
muskytom

muskytom

Reaction score
Thanks and appreciate the insight. There's a fair amount of room back there and I'll have my sub external, so I may just utilize that, but <eye roll> a lot of cabling. Like your fan idea and will most likely incorporate that as well!

OP
OP
muskytom

muskytom

Reaction score
I'd like to use my JL e4300 (9.25" W x 13.8" L x 2.36 H); yeah, it's a big boy A/B and no way it's going to fit anywhere except in back by the factory sub amp which is coming out and replacing with my JL W6-12AE & JL RD500-1 box.

I'm partial to JL if you can't tell :), but I do hear a lot of good things about NVX and they have several 4-channel models. Even a class D motorcycle/marine units at 100W RMS @ 4ohm /channel with great SNR and THD that I might do (and at 1/2 the price of JL). I believe I can make that fit in the dash cavity behind the head unit.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Behind 3rd row would be the best option, it didn't sound like that was on the table. JL makes a great product. Cabling shouldn't be a hige concern on placement as its a necessary evil unless you're trying to stuff things in some odd location with limited access. Cable runs are fsirly easy in these.

OP
OP
muskytom

muskytom

Reaction score
Don't want to do third row as I have it down most of the time for hauling stuff. Cabling the power and signal is NP, but new runs to the door speakers I was not looing forward to.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Tonka

Reaction score
I have a 13’ without factory amp or sub. when I did have my amp I put mine in the compartment on drivers side behind third row (Stealth). That little panel just past the cup holder pops up, just take your time popping it up and putting it back there is a little notch that lets it only go one way.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 13’ without factory amp or sub. when I did have my amp I put mine in the compartment on drivers side behind third row (Stealth). That little panel just past the cup holder pops up, just take your time popping it up and putting it back there is a little notch that lets it only go one way.

That is where I plan to mount an ACM-1.300 among other things when I get a new sub for mine. It's a decent sized area if you don't have the factory sub in there

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357