Where to start with rotten rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To begin, let me say that I have zero body work experience.

I recently purchased an '04 Eddie Bauer 'midwest special' with rocker panels that are half gone. At this point, the threshold portion is fairly intact, but as it makes the bend to go past vertical downward back under the car, the rust has overtaken the length of both rockers, such that you could literally poke holes all along with your finger, or at least without much more effort than that.

I have looked at the slip on covers, and will probably tackle that in the coming months. In the mean time, in order to slow or stop the progression of rust, I'm wondering if it would be of any advantage to take a grinder and cut out the super rusty side of these rockers and try to apply some primer? Would doing so slow the rust any, or would it hasten the deterioration by removing what little bit of support the rusty portions still give?

I'm kind of looking for a starting point. I hate walking out to the car every day and seeing the little pieces of rust hanging out below the doors and staining the running boards.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will want to cut out all of the rust. It will only keep expanding. It is a lot of prep work to really do it proper.
YouTube rocker repair to get an idea. There are tons of videos for early to mid 2000s Silverados.

I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 with 95k miles that the rockers are the only issue. It is getting treated to new rockers as we speak. I wanted it done proper and left it up to the pros and did full rockers and not slip ons.
Truck has tons of life left so while a bit expensive it will be well worth it.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will want to cut out all of the rust. It will only keep expanding. It is a lot of prep work to really do it proper.
YouTube rocker repair to get an idea. There are tons of videos for early to mid 2000s Silverados.

I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 with 95k miles that the rockers are the only issue. It is getting treated to new rockers as we speak. I wanted it done proper and left it up to the pros and did full rockers and not slip ons.
Truck has tons of life left so while a bit expensive it will be well worth it.

Can you tell us the cost of replacing the rockers? I know it isn't a cheap repair. Thanks

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer wanted $3000 (OEM full rockers)
I am having an independent shop do it for $1200 aftermarket full rockers and not the slip on types.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, man..... So I crawled under there last night to take a closer look and it's quite depressing. I spent several minutes on both sides just pinching and breaking off pieces of the rockers like they were a taco salad bowl. Underneath, the inner rockers are of course rusted, too.

I'll try to get a picture or two on here showing the extent of the damage.

My goal is to get another 3+ years out of the truck. Realistically, it is 14 years old and has 167k on the clock, so it's going to be near the end of it's super-dependable season of life by then, anyway. It doesn't make sense to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on bodywork on a vehicle where the cost of doing so would approach the total value of the car. But at the same time, I don't want slush and road spray coming up into the cab from the bottom of the doors. Aside from the rockers, the rest of the car is beautiful - paint is deep and glossy and looks really nice.

So my question is: If I take a grinder and cut off the vertical portion of the outer rockers (which are all but gone) and then buy some rocker covers, prime and paint (or bedliner) those and weld, screw or rivet on, is there any product that could be sprayed underneath on the rusty portion of the inner rockers, floor pan, and whatever else is there (I'll try to first wirebrush as much as I can) that will retard the advance of the rust so that I might be able to get by for that 3-4 year period?

I've never tackled bodywork, but it sure looks like a nightmare of a job to totally do this right. I'm looking for a passable method somewhere between the right way and the "great stuff" method.

Plati

Reaction score
IMHO ... from my own Rustbucket ... Just Let it Be
no probs! no worries! Its waterproof (for now & several years)
Spray some Fluid Film on the rust if it makes you feel better

Consider it a badge of honor, better gas mileage, efficient use of funds, Mad Max, Rat Patrol, milk it for all its worth, etc.

See that hole on the right?
Thats the problem RIGHT THERE
I'm plugging mine up this weekend on my 2014 EL

(the taco salad thing was very funny, good one)

IMG_0230.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
867BEEC9-1636-46D0-80D5-7A3B2A6ABBF5.jpeg 03DBD232-4878-4EE2-9C7D-4661C6039BF9.jpeg I sure like your way of thinking and I'm trying to convince myself it's ok to think that way! I tell myself it took it 14 years to get to this point; it's surely not going to disintegrate in a year or two.

With respect to dousing it with Fluid Film, I'm wondering if it might make sense to go head and cut away some of the rotten part so that I can get "inside" those rockers to treat them with this product or a rust converter or something ?

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO ... from my own Rustbucket ... Just Let it Be
no probs! no worries! Its waterproof (for now & several years)
Spray some Fluid Film on the rust if it makes you feel better

Consider it a badge of honor, better gas mileage, efficient use of funds, Mad Max, Rat Patrol, milk it for all its worth, etc.

See that hole on the right?
Thats the problem RIGHT THERE
I'm plugging mine up this weekend on my 2014 EL

(the taco salad thing was very funny, good one)

View attachment 27364

It's hard to believe there is that must rust on a 14. I know NY winters can be bad but damn. Am I missing something. I just figured it out your talking about the 03 right.

Plati

Reaction score
Started the fall "coat & plug rockers" job. Hard to roll around under the Expy and work. Sprayed anti corrosion stuff inside rockers and plugged as many holes as I could with improvised plugs. Sprayed until it would drip down. Going back later to hit several locations underneath with more Fluid Film. This has to help. I dont like rust.
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG