Which Tune? MPT vs Livernois vs 5 Star vs Unleashed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m pulling the trigger on a tune next week. Can Loki or anyone here with some solid tune experience give me their thoughts on the main tuners out there? I’ve read and read and searched and searched and just want to know what your thoughts are on both a tuner and a tuning company. Looking for an aggressive 93 perf tune, better shift points and a more linear tip in. I’m leaning towards MPT but Torrie has a solid reputation for personal customer service. 5* seems professional but I’ve also consistently read that people aren’t super impressed with their tunes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you give me your detailed thoughts on the differences between a performance tune and a towing tune?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
MB, I am not a fan of 5Star. Mostly because they are in my opinion a lot of hype with little results to back it up. Just doesn’t give me the feel goods.

I have tried HyperTech, LMS(Livernois MotorSport), and ZFG.

Both on my 17 and now my 20. Livernois is a good safe tune. Didn’t like the shifting on my 20, they adjusted it, but still didn’t like it, and neither did the wife. On the 17, it was better than stock, but not great. Power was good. Big issue with LMS is they use a proprietary tuner, that is only used by them.

HyperTech was easy and lets you adjust a fair amount on your own. Only a small bump in power.

No experience with MPT.

ZFG is the best on power, by far, but if tuning for towing he will back it off a bit, to be even more safe.

I suggest you add ZFG to your shopping list. Just send ZFG a message and have a conversation. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m pulling the trigger on a tune next week. Can Loki or anyone here with some solid tune experience give me their thoughts on the main tuners out there? I’ve read and read and searched and searched and just want to know what your thoughts are on both a tuner and a tuning company. Looking for an aggressive 93 perf tune, better shift points and a more linear tip in. I’m leaning towards MPT but Torrie has a solid reputation for personal customer service. 5* seems professional but I’ve also consistently read that people aren’t super impressed with their tunes...

Been working with 5 star for 2 years now. Have a 93 perf on revision 7.11, 93 perf tow on revision 7.4 and e30 on revision 2. I run e30 daily on my 16 EL with 35s and my god is this thing quick. 5 star has always pulled through for me and I will be a customer for life with them

I’m complete opposite of Loki, I do not like ZFG. To me, they are all about just making your truck haul ass and they don’t really utilize the same safety parameters 5 star tuning does. They are in a ******* match to see what company can get the fastest EB and to me I could care less about that. I want a tune that is both powerful and safe. They also are ok with letting a completely stock 3.5 run on e85, those parts that make up the fuel system on stock 10 speed aren’t made to handle straight e85.

Livernois is expensive and not sure if they will let you datalog

just my $.02

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been working with 5 star for 2 years now. Have a 93 perf on revision 7.11, 93 perf tow on revision 7.4 and e30 on revision 2. I run e30 daily on my 16 EL with 35s and my god is this thing quick. 5 star has always pulled through for me and I will be a customer for life with them

I’m complete opposite of Loki, I do not like ZFG. To me, they are all about just making your truck haul ass and they don’t really utilize the same safety parameters 5 star tuning does. They are in a ******* match to see what company can get the fastest EB and to me I could care less about that. I want a tune that is both powerful and safe. They also are ok with letting a completely stock 3.5 run on e85, those parts that make up the fuel system on stock 10 speed aren’t made to handle straight e85.

Livernois is expensive and not sure if they will let you datalog

just my $.02

Jake, I truly respect your opinion...but A LOT of what you said above is unfounded.

I have had Tuned vehicles for over 25 years now. I actually use to do a lot of my own tuning on my 2006 Powerstroke. This is not my first Rodeo. I like to shop around. I tried 4 tuners on my 2016 Edge, before I landed on ZFG. Even tried as a stated above a few on my 2020 Expedition, before coming back to ZFG. Just cause.

The safety parameters argument is only something an actual 5Star customer would say... There are MANY daily driven 5 Star tuned vehicles that weren't tracked or even running extreme tunes that have had major failure, even those with 5Star's "Warranty". I know of 1 ZFG tuned F150 that has had major failure, and they were intentionally pushing the limits on the stock internals because the guy was going to do a built motor. ZFG is all about safety. I have seen HPT(HP Tuner) files from many other tuners and MANY of them lower the knock thresholds and many other things to get the power they are getting. ZFG develops safe power. They always start with a base tune, log, and then adjust your tune for your vehicle. The base tune is VERY conservative, and equivalent in results to many other tuners. It is the logging for your specific vehicle that makes ZFG different, and allows the gains. Every motor responds differently, as does the Trans.

What does the Trans have to do with E85? It has nothing to do with it. If you are talking power levels, E50 gets more power on the stock pump. People are running full E85 with aftermarket pumps(Even more power than E50) on 100% stock 10Spds. If the shifts are tuned correctly, it can EASILY handle it. My tune on my 2020 is E85 on a stock Pump, but it is a turned back E85 tune, and demands less, because as you already know the Stock pump can't flow enough to meet the demand if the E85 tune is a full bore tune. This gets me more power than 93, less than E50, but no mixing.

Now if we are talking about the Fuel System as far as seals and rubber...The same fuel lines are used in full flexfuel(E85, or Gas) vehicles. No modern vehicle manufacturer uses hoses and fittings that will fail with ANY percentage of Ethanol. Whether that is E10 or E100. That has been true for almost 20 years for most manufacturers. We could go into the changes in the rubber compounds and the rings, and the chemistry of it, but I really don't have the energy...do a search I have done it before. By the way my degree is chemistry. This isn't a lawn mower with an open air fuel tank, and it isn't a 1970's muscle car. E85 will do ZERO damage to this fuel system.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really awesome responses. I love the detail you guys shared. It’s this kind of banter than helps a guy like me make some decisions. Which takes me to another question:

I’m getting a cat code these days and I’m thinking one or both cats are on their way out. I live in a state out in the country with zero emissions testing nor inspections. Most people here have majorly modified exhaust systems. Is there any detriment to going catless? I don’t want loud noise nor stink. If pulling the cats is going to make the truck obnoxious in the noise and smell category then are there high flow aftermarket cheaper cats you can recommend? I’m not wanting to sink tons of $$$ into cats.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really awesome responses. I love the detail you guys shared. It’s this kind of banter than helps a guy like me make some decisions. Which takes me to another question:

I’m getting a cat code these days and I’m thinking one or both cats are on their way out. I live in a state out in the country with zero emissions testing nor inspections. Most people here have majorly modified exhaust systems. Is there any detriment to going catless? I don’t want loud noise nor stink. If pulling the cats is going to make the truck obnoxious in the noise and smell category then are there high flow aftermarket cheaper cats you can recommend? I’m not wanting to sink tons of $$$ into cats.

Do new Catless downpipes, you will not regret it!

Talk to whoever you get to do your tune about it. The tune can dial in a bit more power because heat will be leaving your motor easier.

It is a win/win! As long as the rest of exhaust is stock, you will get a little more sound, but it won’t be dramatic.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only have experience with 5 Star. I had some of their tunes on my 5.0 F-150 and then I had their tunes on my Expedition. Their 5.0 tune was a monster in my truck, it was a custom “race” tune.
Their tune on my Expedition I was less thrilled with. Definite increase in power, but the trans tuning was nowhere near what I had in my 5.0 as it came.
I will say that they were good about revising it multiple times as I sought getting it to how I wanted it. I could call them, speak to tech support, and usually have a new tune within a couple hours, never longer than overnight.
I had both tow and performance tunes, and I always neglected to swap between the two when towing. Never blew up even on long hauls with 8K pounds in tow. 5-Star said they just back off the boost and timing a little bit. Truck seemed plenty happy towing with the performance tune.
I have looked into ZFG, they weren’t a factor when I did my 5.0, so I had stuck with 5-Star when I moved to the Expedition and EB. But now that I’m back in the market for another 3rd gen, ZFG is on my list and I can’t find much in the way of negative reports. They are considerably more expensive from what I’ve seen, which is a drawback, but I’ll never buy a tune just because it’s the cheapest option.
Unleashed there was a ton of negative feedback about a few years ago and I steered clear of them. Not sure if things have changed since then.

Vehicles without cats definitely have a different odor than those without, whether you consider it a “stink” or not is probably personal to you. My 65 Buick I can tell a difference on startup but little after that (it has EFI, so the typical carb over-rich condition doesn’t exist), and most of that is probably just due to the big cam.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great info... My only gamble is that if I can’t stand the smell of the catless downpipes then I’ve just blown a bunch of $$$. If I just get a set of high flow catted DPs then I’m only sacrificing a few HP and don’t have to be concerned with the smell or possible rasp if I end up upgrading the rest of my exhaust.