Which Tune? MPT vs Livernois vs 5 Star vs Unleashed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My primary aim for this engine it to get the best low end torque and fuel economy for the money. If I ever do get into the motor, it will not be to increase high RPM performance. This vehicle's primary use is a dd and overland offroading; not extreme 4x4 hijinks. My first choice in conquering difficult terrain is to go around. I intend to get to the destination however long it takes, not break my truck conquering terrain as fast as possible.
the main limitation I've run into so far is that I can't get it to show the gauges I want. I want to be able to see amps and engine vacuum. I've contacted a custom tuner about that, waiting for an answer now.

Have you tried the Torque App with an OBD II bluetooth dongle? Or I have a scangauge code reader I would part with.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’m at rev04 of the performance tune and the truck is waking up in ways I honestly never thought it could. I can’t quite describe the process...but basically every single rev is changing different driving dynamics at different places in the power band all while simultaneously tuning in better shift points and firmness. It’s a very strange and surreal yet very cool experience and as crazy as this sounds, it’s almost as though the truck is a living breathing machine. I’ve driven it nearly four years now and this tuning process is quite literally turning it into a completely different animal. I am impressed. It’s not only about speed and horsepower, it’s also about drivability, enjoyability, and just better matching of the throttle response, transmission, and engine to my personal expectations and wishes. These trucks should have absolutely come from the factory driving like this...I can’t imagine ever going back to the clunky stock tune.

We are still tweaking things, and of course I know this truck wasn’t designed to win drag races at the strip, but it is feeling incredibly brisk, light on its feet and becoming very very fun to drive. Adam at ZFG has been very responsive any time of the day and weekend. He has been sending revisions to me faster than I can send data logs to him. Not to mention there aren’t enough straight flat sections of road here in Pennsylvania that I can go zero to 100mph on safely to perform a log [emoji41]

Also, I can confirm without a doubt that Adam is indeed a one man shop and answers all calls and emails himself.
Really nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I’m at rev04 of the performance tune and the truck is waking up ways I honestly never thought it could. I can’t quite describe the process...but basically every single rev is changing different driving dynamics at different places in the power band all while simultaneously tuning in better shift points and firmness. It’s a very strange and surreal yet very cool experience and as crazy as this sounds, it’s almost as though the truck is a living breathing machine. I’ve driven it nearly four years now and this tuning process is quite literally turning it into a completely different animal. I am impressed. It’s not all about speed and horsepower, it’s about drivability, enjoyability, and just better matching of the throttle response, transmission, and engine to my personal expectations and wishes. These trucks should have absolutely come from the factory driving like this...I can’t imagine ever going back to the clunky stock tune.

We are still tweaking things, and of course I know this truck wasn’t designed to win drag races at the strip, but it is feeling incredibly brisk, light on its feet and becoming very very fun to drive. Adam at ZFG has been very very responsive any time of the day and weekend. He has been sending revisions to me faster than I can send data logs to him. Not to mention there aren’t enough straight flat sections of road here in Pennsylvania that I can go zero to 100mph on safely to perform a log [emoji41]

Couldn't agree more with all of the above. When you are done, you will have a tune setup for you and your Rig. The EB powered Expeditions are fairly light on their feet from the factory, but a good tune with real world log data, makes them a whole new beast! REALLY glad you are enjoying it!!

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ray, do you run VCM suite? If I sent you a data log for fun to look for any obvious data points would you be able to view them?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ray, do you run VCM suite? If I sent you a data log for fun to look for any obvious data points would you be able to view them?

Yep. I use a MPVI2. Full access. I will PM you my e-mail!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’m at rev04 of the performance tune and the truck is waking up in ways I honestly never thought it could. I can’t quite describe the process...but basically every single rev is changing different driving dynamics at different places in the power band all while simultaneously tuning in better shift points and firmness. It’s a very strange and surreal yet very cool experience and as crazy as this sounds, it’s almost as though the truck is a living breathing machine. I’ve driven it nearly four years now and this tuning process is quite literally turning it into a completely different animal. I am impressed. It’s not only about speed and horsepower, it’s also about drivability, enjoyability, and just better matching of the throttle response, transmission, and engine to my personal expectations and wishes. These trucks should have absolutely come from the factory driving like this...I can’t imagine ever going back to the clunky stock tune.

We are still tweaking things, and of course I know this truck wasn’t designed to win drag races at the strip, but it is feeling incredibly brisk, light on its feet and becoming very very fun to drive. Adam at ZFG has been very responsive any time of the day and weekend. He has been sending revisions to me faster than I can send data logs to him. Not to mention there aren’t enough straight flat sections of road here in Pennsylvania that I can go zero to 100mph on safely to perform a log [emoji41]

Also, I can confirm without a doubt that Adam is indeed a one man shop and answers all calls and emails himself.
Really nice guy.

What octane rating? Thinking about a mild 87 tune. Something that will make me feel like I'm on 93 all the time.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
does anyone know of a custom tuner as near as possible to central Texas? I've found several that advertise custom tuning, but they will not do the 04 Expy... or they just don't respond to emails.
thanks
jg

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What octane rating? Thinking about a mild 87 tune. Something that will make me feel like I'm on 93 all the time.

93 octane. It’s the only octane I run so it made sense for me. They can do an 87 performance tune. It won’t be as dramatic as a 93 octane but it might be enough for you.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’m currently on rev 6 of my performance tune. For some reason the truck is eliminating boost above 5000rpm. Trying to sort out why. Also I’m getting a bit of chattering whistle on acceleration and can’t figure out what is causing that. This was occurring before I commenced tuning so I’ll have to chase it down.