Which would u buy 2017 platinum or 2019 limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virgil miranda

Reaction score
I'm trying decide which expedition I should get a 2017 platinum with 41k its black on black 1 owner has dvd in headrest nice condition. 4x4 41,500.00

2019 limited with 35k former rental vehicle has every option as well .black on black i do like the new body style . 4x4 47,000.00

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally different. 3rd gen from 07-17, 15-17 get gen 1 ecoboost. 18+ is a different animal. Aluminum body, gen 2 eco and completely new from the ground up. If you’re spending that much and they’re that close in price and you can do, definitely go to the 4th gen. Huge step forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
4th Gen hands down! I have owned both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on the style you want and whether the 1 owner or rental history sway you one way or another. These vehicles aren't exactly the type to rent and beat on, they aren't fast by any stretch so it's probably in just fine shape. I personally like the exterior of the 2017 better though the interior of the 4th gen is amazing, especially the fold and flip 2nd row. I'm not a huge fan of the front on the 4th gen, always thought they looked odd.

I'd be torn, black on black or the teal/blue on black would sell me on the 2017 if the 2019 was in an undesirable color. I've walked away from plenty of great vehicles because I didn't like the color. I'm shallow at times. Bit me once as I definitely bought the wrong car about 10 years ago when it came down to 2 choices. I should have went white in California rather than black in St Louis. The drive back also factored in the Cali purchase. Wasn't looking forward to a week long trip to buy a car.

If I could get an even better deal on the 2017 I'd lean towards myself. Do you plan to keep till it's dead? If not the 4th gen will likely be far more desirable come trade in or resale time 5-10 years down the road. Many, many variables in this decision.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2019 has a lot of worthwhile upgrades. The 2nd row tilt seats, 10 speed, adaptive cruise, more power. I also see more quality issues. But I would get one over the 17 anyway, along with an extended warranty.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on you, not everybody in here, you could get opinions all day........be decisive. I know if it was black that would be a deal killer for me though.

Red17ExpedLimited

Reaction score
Had the same choice last summer. I went with ‘17 Limited 4x4, w/Tow Package. Has a frame, the ‘18 up’s don’t. Wife preferred the more aggressive style of the ‘17; she didn’t like the ‘new boxy” at all!

We had an ‘05 Gen2 for 14 years and sold to my son last summer. ‘17 was a big step up for us.

We tow and do lite off-road. We got it with 29,000 miles during the depth of the pandemic for way cheap, and could easily afford a Ford PremiumCare extended warranty. Got the color and size we liked as well. Perfect for the garage and our lifestyle.

Good luck!