whining in the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If yours is rear wheel drive only, the parts from Rock Auto come to @$70. Add in another $30 for misc items and gear lube. So $100 for parts if it is only the bearings. A slow mechanic can pull the axles & bearings, clean the chunk and reinstall everything in about 2 hrs. I've done it in about an hour. A good price would therefore be $100 labor + $100 parts. Anything drastically above that is pure theft. If you get the crap about the axles are shot and you need new ones - show me....
There are bearings referred to as axle savers that may be available for your model & allow you to retain the axles.

OP
OP
D

Dutnall

Reaction score
okay, I took the truck to a local guy yesterday and of course the noise is much louder now but anyway he said that one of the bearings has worn out and the metal has gotten into all the other bearings and now I may need a whole new axle shaft, but the differential is okay. He is quoting $350 to $700 depending on replacement of the axel shaft. Funny how it is still lower than the dealer who wanted $500 just to replace the bearing alone. My brother in law said he could get the parts for under $200 and do the work himself but I don't know if he is qualified to do this type of work, its a mess.

I'm going to make an appointment at one more shop that a member here recommended and then I'll make my decision on what to do, thank you again for all you help.

OP
OP
D

Dutnall

Reaction score
If yours is rear wheel drive only, the parts from Rock Auto come to @$70. Add in another $30 for misc items and gear lube. So $100 for parts if it is only the bearings. A slow mechanic can pull the axles & bearings, clean the chunk and reinstall everything in about 2 hrs. I've done it in about an hour. A good price would therefore be $100 labor + $100 parts. Anything drastically above that is pure theft. If you get the crap about the axles are shot and you need new ones - show me....
There are bearings referred to as axle savers that may be available for your model & allow you to retain the axles.

well, I did get crap about how the axle could be shot :bawl:

now, how can I show you?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "show me" is a sarcastic remark for the mechanic. Sorry. You haven't had crap yet just a valid warning. Who ever works on it have them show you the axles and dope (gear lube). There will be rough groves near the axle flange that don't look right compared to the rest if it is bad. If everything is nice and smooth then your ok.

Usually if a bearing has been trashed to the point of taking out other parts you see little shiny metal flakes in the rear end dope when you drain it. More flakes mean more damage. If there are flakes then I'd recommend looking at the spiders and ring gear for damage.
If you see chunks instead of flakes then start crying - around a $1000 for a total rebuild.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dutnall

Reaction score
Well, we took the truck into another local shop yesterday and that guy said exactly the same thing as the other shop, metal got into all the bearings and I need to replace the axel shaft as well ugh! that guy wanted to charge me $900 ugh! ugh! ugh! so, my brother in law ordered all the parts this morning for $450 and he and his buddy James are going to do the work themselves.

I appreciate all of your input and help in this matter, thank you once again for allowing me to put this problem on your forum

Kristie

oh yes I wanted to add that my brother in law did look at the parts when the mechanic took them apart and he verified that yes metal dust, not chunks were all over the axel shaft I didn't see it myself but I have to trust that they know what they are talking about. At this time the truck is making so much noise it has to fixed right now it cannot wait

Last edited: