Whining noise 2006 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denver102

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2006 Expedition and here lately Ive noticed a whining noise going down the road. It seems to get a bit louder when turning left. Its almost like a sound you would hear with off road tires. Also I get some vibration in the steering wheel when stopping. I recently changed the rotors, new pads. I have removed the wheel bearings and to me they look ok. When I turn them they feel tight. Ive also have been looking for suspension components that might be bad or loose.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Thank you in advance!

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An 06 is definitely old enough to have worn out tie rods, bearings (might be excessive play in the bearings even though you observed that it looks ok), and ball joints, which can cause steering vibration and uneven tire wear. I would check this first because you don't have to take anything apart.
Or, it may just be tire noise. Measure the tread depth at several different locations on the tires to check for uneven wear. That is what causes excessive tire noise. Another check you can do without taking anything apart.
Cheap rotors sometimes come 'pre-warped' for you out of the box, so consider that esp if the problem started right after installing them. Warped rotors are the #1 cause of steering shimmy with the brakes applied so I suggest considering that, as frustrating as it might be. As you know, for this you will have to pull the wheels off to check the rotors for runout.
If it is a 4x4, check the Integrated Wheel Ends. Vacuum leaks can cause the IWEs to partially engage, which causes noises in the front end.
Let us know how it goes.