Whipple Stage 1 System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the whole Whipple Stage 1 Kit? Considering this one since it is CARB exempt.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the whole Whipple Stage 1 Kit? Considering this one since it is CARB exempt.
I don't know of any one that has. Their tuning can be hit and miss on the EcoBoost, but probably one of the few that has full CARB compliance. If you are in CA, this might be the best way to go. If you weren't there are better options for the money.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, really no choices for CA. Whipple is the only inclusive package that I have seen. Figured it would likely be the best CA option.

The Livernois tuner shows as 50-state legal with a CARB EO#. Was also thinking an about going Whipple intercooler and intake with this.

Finally, thinking about just doing the intercooler and intake only. From my research, just swapping out the intercooler is beneficial.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, really no choices for CA. Whipple is the only inclusive package that I have seen. Figured it would likely be the best CA option.

The Livernois tuner shows as 50-state legal with a CARB EO#. Was also thinking an about going Whipple intercooler and intake with this.

Finally, thinking about just doing the intercooler and intake only. From my research, just swapping out the intercooler is beneficial.
It is VERY beneficial. Look at the CVF branded intercooler as another option. Also, AFE makes intake options that should be CARB compliant. Shifting on the LMS tunes for our 2020 was TERRIBLE. Maybe they have made improvements.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is VERY beneficial. Look at the CVF branded intercooler as another option. Also, AFE makes intake options that should be CARB compliant. Shifting on the LMS tunes for our 2020 was TERRIBLE. Maybe they have made improvements.
How beneficial, is it?
I haven't looked much into EB performance mods as I am much more familiar with Supercharged applications. Reading this thread the first thing I thought was " how does Whipple offer a supercharger for this thing?"

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In general the IC’s on most EcoBoost platforms leave a lot to be desired. Basically these are F150’s. There is A LOT of info with solid numbers out there if you want to see them. I only know of a few Expeditions that have done the swap. Some do it because they tow, some because they live in hot areas, some do it for the added performance when running the 1/4. No matter your reason, upgrading the IC on these motors is probably the single most beneficial physical mod you can do to them. Cooler air is always a good thing for a forced induction motor…same concept for a SC motor.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes cooler air is best for forced induction motors I get that.
A larger IC on all my previous SC and current SC vehicles just keep me from heatsoaking too quickly, yet inevitably it happens. Not once has going to a bigger IC or similar mods added power to these vehicles, just aided in holding back the loss of power.

Quick read of this Whipple Stage 1 kit claims significant additional power. There must be a tune factored into these claims...?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the Mishimoto intercooler and have loved it so far. It absolutely made a difference and actually helped improve the sound of the CAI. But I will say, the one thing I should have done when I replaced the IC would be to have replaced the BOV at the same time, since you have to remove it anyways.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes cooler air is best for forced induction motors I get that.
A larger IC on all my previous SC and current SC vehicles just keep me from heatsoaking too quickly, yet inevitably it happens. Not once has going to a bigger IC or similar mods added power to these vehicles, just aided in holding back the loss of power.

Quick read of this Whipple Stage 1 kit claims significant additional power. There must be a tune factored into these claims...?
Did you look at the site? It would have answered that question. Comes with intake, IC, and Tuner.

Yes, the upgraded IC, allows you to sustain power longer if the tune does not factor it in. In the case of the tuner I use and recommend(ZFG), if you have an upgraded IC, he dials in a little more power, but like you said, it is about sustaining power. The issue with the factory IC, in a single 1/4 run the IC will heat soak, and the motor will start pulling timing. Running higher levels of Ethanol helps to counteract that but by far the best way, get one of the several options for a better IC. Again, I believe it is one of the single best physical mods you can do for this motor.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went with the Mishimoto intercooler and have loved it so far. It absolutely made a difference and actually helped improve the sound of the CAI. But I will say, the one thing I should have done when I replaced the IC would be to have replaced the BOV at the same time, since you have to remove it anyways.
Good info, and yes another good option for an upgraded IC.