whirring in 4a?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rs4-380

Reaction score
Had the stereo and hvac off today and noticed a definite whirring noise when 4A was engaged. Putting it in 2a under throttle and the noise would disappear. You could also watch the power distribution screen and whenever power was going to the front the noise would be present, noise would go away when there was no power to the front/no throttle application. I wouldn't call it a grinding (again, I didn't even notice it with the hvac and low-volume radio on) but it was definitely present.

This is my first Ford and honestly I'm hoping to avoid the dealer altogether, so set me straight if this is a common thing for these.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They often make a tad more road noise in 4A. Your front hubs are locked in as well.

Last edited:

Adam Huskins

Reaction score
I heard the exact same this past weekend while driving some trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, 4A is always a weee bit louder...sounds like it’s coming from the front right. Just the hubs and the front mechanics all working. Obviously in 2H there’s fewer bits moving up there, so when the whole thing is hooked up in 4A there are things moving and making noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do these trucks have locking and unlocking front hubs? as on most trucks now appears to be the half shaft is connected directly to the front axle that may or may not have a disconnect. In that case the half shafts will always rotate, however the ring and pinion will not in the axle.

OP
OP
R

rs4-380

Reaction score
IF it were hub noise, wouldn't it be present at all times in 4A? Is the front driveshaft always spinning in 4a or only when the clutches send power to the front (ie when I get the whirring).

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine makes the same noise, has not altered one bit from new to 9,000 miles, fully loaded with 5 adults and luggage to empty, +45 C to -25 C. I think it's a feature :)

If I were to guess sounds like gear whine due to spur gear.

Ford may not have wanted to deal with thrust issues from helical in in the transfer case by using additives etc due to the clutches.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. I drive mine in 2H exclusively except for muddy/snowy conditions. 4A makes more mechanical sounds up front. Mentioned it to the dealer, he says it's normal.

OP
OP
R

rs4-380

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i looked into the F150 boards and it seems to be much the same sentiment. I'm coming from a a long line of Audis so I'm used to not having to think (and/or know) when various wheels are doing their thing. I do have an older F350 but you'd struggle to hear if the driveshaft fell off over the heavy breathing 5.4:)

Andy C

Reaction score
While testing driving yesterday, brand new, this sound was actually coming from the rear of the vehicle, while in 2H. Didn't know what it was, so walked out of the dealership, and salesperson is to find out what it is. All you guys are saying it is coming from the front, but this test drive vehicle was coming from the back.