Whistling under truck and no power, cats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought this '08 King Ranch last fall and its never really had any wot pickup. Yesterday I bought a new 8x14 enclosed trailer in douglas ga. and towed it 350 miles to home.

My god I have no pickup at all if I floored it. And when I get home I hear a whistling coming from under it.

Clogged cats?

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I see there is no flex joints so this video is not going to help me. I just started it and no whistling when its cold.

What the hell?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any decent shop should be able to test if you've got a plugged cat or 2. To do it yourself, either use a heat gun with gauge, and measure inlet and outlet of all 4. Temp should be 100 degrees hotter at exit of each cat. Or hook up vacuum gauge, run engine, if vacuum drops towards 0, bingo! Blocked cat. Problem with that way is it doesn't tell you which one. A really blocked cat will actually glow red at night!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Does the whistle sound like a belt screeching? That's how mine sounded like when I had blocked cats, they both were like cemented closed

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a friend at his garage I will go see him Monday and see if he can tell me whats up. I kinda hope this is a clogged cat because I know this thing will move much better than it is now.

And my gas mileage has been 14.3 interstate and as low as 12 pulling my loaded trailer. I know it can do better than that.

Looks like Rock Auto is the cheapest for Walker cats.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
12 pulling a loaded trailer is actually super good for the 5.4 motor. Mine would average around 9mpg towing my 6k pound travel trailer and 14-15 empty around town, 18 max on the highway. Out of curiosity, do you know what rear end gears you have? In 08 you could have 3.31 or 3.73 and that makes a huge difference despite having 6 gears in the transmission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My cat, the honeycomb turned sideways after it got. Loose... Cold it ran ok, but after it warmed up it was a dog! It sucked so bad, it couldn't get out of its own way! If it is whistling, is assume it is a clogged Cat a good shop should be able to pull the front O2 sensor and see if there is pressure in the exhaust system. If there is pressure, then you have a bad cat... There should be no pressure at all!

OP
OP
34Ford

34Ford

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a exhaust back pressure tester and so far I checked the drivers side cat and it is good. Laying on my back it was a royal pain to take the o2 sensor out, and unplugging the wires was even worse.
Passenger side, well I got under there and looked and it is going to be a even bigger pain.

Anyway I spent the day yesterday installing a Magnaflow cat back. 4 hours wallering around on concrete.
This is to much for a 64 year old. I need a car lift.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360