Who has the highest mileage Eco Boost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for S's & G's, I've got to make an observation about vehicle "forums", ALL vehicle forums. As some know, I restore and collect vintage bikes.

As such, I used to buy/sell a LOT of bikes so over the years, I joined a LOT of forums and the 1 thing they ALL have in common is that everyone goes there when they have a problem.

IF there was any inherent issues with the EB powertrain, we would ALL know about it<LMAO>!!

JMHO......

jeff

I used to use a story to illustrate this. A few years ago a news program did a special claiming cops were lying about a decrease in crime rates. They based it on a ER worker talking about an increase in gun shot victims coming in. What happened? One of the trauma centers in the area had closed. So you had a decrease in crime, and increase of activity at another trauma center.

Another way to look at it, would you interview people in the waiting room at ER/Urgent Care as a accurate sampling for the health of the population at large? No, because you have two categories of people. Those who are there for help(patients), and those who support them (family and employees).

Forums are the same way. They are not a sampling of all owners, just those who want to discuss things and those who are looking for answers.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I work with guy that had his 2011 F150, down for weeks, with turbo and oil leak issues. That was with 11K miles. Ford claimed, first major failure in the country. They actually sent a rep up to NY to inspect truck, turbo parts and download data. They fixed it, but he was not impressed and said not to buy one.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I work with guy that had his 2011 F150, down for weeks, with turbo and oil leak issues. That was with 11K miles. Ford claimed, first major failure in the country. They actually sent a rep up to NY to inspect truck, turbo parts and download data. They fixed it, but he was not impressed and said not to buy one.

That was the first year they came out with the 3.5 ecoboost, so I would expect that year to have some growing pains. They made a lot of changes to them since then. My neighbor had a '11 F150 with the 3.5eco and had 80k trouble free miles on it and just recently traded it in on a '17 with the 3.5

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has sold over a million 3.5L EcoBoost engines and there are many of them out there with well over 100,000 miles on them. I would say you have nothing to worry about. I'm loving mine but I only have 6600 miles on mine. :)

100K is barely breaking it in. :) I consider anything requiring major repairs before 200K to be a lemon. I'd buy an Eco regardless though and hope for the best as I think it's an impressive little engine.

TallT70

Reaction score
I've had my 2015 for 2 years now. I tow a 2011 North Trail 27ft. We went to Arizona from Washington State with nary a hiccup. Love mine. I have 54,156 on the dial.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I expect to be in the running for highest mileage Ecoboost Expy over time. I am averaging about 45k miles per year, and have 77k on my 2016. I'll post updates as I rack up the miles.

Ok, the competition is on!!! My odo at this moment: 76,754. 2015 Limited EL. Let’s do this! Although mine it a year older and you still have 1000 miles on me...that’s insane. Impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got 35K & change Muddy......I purchased my '17 in Nov of 2016. Not a single run, drip or error to quote the old Johnny Bench Rustoleum commercials...and my gas mileage is 17.9 SINCE NEW! That's the running average....

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember once seeing a Black & White comic sketch:

The very attractive wife is on the steps to go up to bed and calls her man to join her.....but in the next frame we see him sitting angrily in front of the screen punching his keyboard...with the caption: "I'll be there in a minute, someone is WRONG on the internet!"

WTFU guys.....I find it highly entertaining, I do. I admit it because I value those who possess the skills & command of the written word enough to argue.

It takes a lot of effort, more I'll admit, than I'm willing to invest to correct "someone on the internet"......seems to me, that woman on the steps is a lot more real & rewarding......

Just a thought....

jeff

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting back to the question, the only issue I am aware of is carbon buildup on the back side of the intake valves (from the SHO forums). This is more a function of the direct injection than the turbo (see Hyundai and BMW forums on this topic). Its also why the *new* 3.5L has both port and direct injectors.

That being said, I'm not aware of any other issues with the 3.5L eb. No matter what you get, there may be some issues, after all the various V8s had the spark plug blowing out and cam phaser issues, so no matter where you go, there you are.

The 3.5eb in my SHO is a torque monster and be warned: "Boost is addictive."