Why does base HVAC have more connectors than digital climate control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoa

You should be writing repair manual and how-to guides (or raking in ad revenue from millions of views with youtube DIY guides). I've literally never seen any instructional composed and illustrated this well

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoa

You should be writing repair manual and how-to guides (or raking in ad revenue from millions of views with youtube DIY guides). I've literally never seen any instructional composed and illustrated this well

Thanks for the kind words ... of course ive never done this in any Expedition... this is all based on my observations comparing to the systems side by side.

Hope my logic is sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMMM

Reaction score
I did a manual to automatic swap on a 2010 SSV about two years ago. Most everything works, but I have a blend door issue that required me to swap the driver and passenger blend door wiring. For it to work “properly” in manual mode, I need to use the passenger control to manually change the temperature.

Things that may not work:
Of course, the dual zones won’t work without replacing the plenum.

The outside temperature on the dash will always read 75, (but you have the temperature on the EATC, so it shouldn’t be an issue). I guess you could always add another outside air temperature sensor.

My SSV did not have a console. I purchased one, but never wired in the rear controls, so I get an error message if I run EATC Self Diagnostics.

That’s all the problems I have encountered, except for having to swap the driver and passenger blend door. You may not have that problem, but it drove me nuts. If you find a solution, please let me know. The next step for me to try to fix this problem is to load an asbuilt from another vehicle and see if that works.

This site was helpful during my conversion:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/how-install-automatic-air-your-f150-212023/

I think you may have a problem with a later model EATC. I used an EATC from a vehicle with the same year and Connectors 228A and 228B fit perfectly. In my search to resolve my blend door issue, I tried a few different EATC modules. Many of the modules are for ’07 – ’11, but there are some that are only for ’07 and ’08. I don’t what the difference is, but the model that was only for ’07 and ’08 did not fit my 228A and 228B connectors.

If you connect Connector 228A and Connector 228B to the new EATC, all the blend doors will function and rear controls will function without any other modifications. I don’t remember if I tried to use the old blower switch with the EATC connected. I think I was afraid to because the EMTC is running the power to the switch (which is why it’s 10 or 12 AWG). The easiest way to address the blower motor resistor swap, is to find a donor vehicle and replace the blower motor harness. Make sure it is the same year, because the connectors are different. Just remember, once you remove the resistor and cut your plenum to make the relay fit, it’s not so easy to go back.

I installed the inside air temperature sensor and sunload sensor, but if you are only going to control the temperature manually, you probably won’t need it (but you will get errors when you run the EATC Self stics).

It’s been a while since I did this, but I may be able to help if you run into any issues.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a manual to automatic swap on a 2010 SSV about two years ago. Most everything works, but I have a blend door issue that required me to swap the driver and passenger blend door wiring. For it to work “properly” in manual mode, I need to use the passenger control to manually change the temperature.

Things that may not work:
Of course, the dual zones won’t work without replacing the plenum.

The outside temperature on the dash will always read 75, (but you have the temperature on the EATC, so it shouldn’t be an issue). I guess you could always add another outside air temperature sensor.

My SSV did not have a console. I purchased one, but never wired in the rear controls, so I get an error message if I run EATC Self Diagnostics.

That’s all the problems I have encountered, except for having to swap the driver and passenger blend door. You may not have that problem, but it drove me nuts. If you find a solution, please let me know. The next step for me to try to fix this problem is to load an asbuilt from another vehicle and see if that works.

This site was helpful during my conversion:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/how-install-automatic-air-your-f150-212023/

I think you may have a problem with a later model EATC. I used an EATC from a vehicle with the same year and Connectors 228A and 228B fit perfectly. In my search to resolve my blend door issue, I tried a few different EATC modules. Many of the modules are for ’07 – ’11, but there are some that are only for ’07 and ’08. I don’t what the difference is, but the model that was only for ’07 and ’08 did not fit my 228A and 228B connectors.

If you connect Connector 228A and Connector 228B to the new EATC, all the blend doors will function and rear controls will function without any other modifications. I don’t remember if I tried to use the old blower switch with the EATC connected. I think I was afraid to because the EMTC is running the power to the switch (which is why it’s 10 or 12 AWG). The easiest way to address the blower motor resistor swap, is to find a donor vehicle and replace the blower motor harness. Make sure it is the same year, because the connectors are different. Just remember, once you remove the resistor and cut your plenum to make the relay fit, it’s not so easy to go back.

I installed the inside air temperature sensor and sunload sensor, but if you are only going to control the temperature manually, you probably won’t need it (but you will get errors when you run the EATC Self stics).

It’s been a while since I did this, but I may be able to help if you run into any issues.

Wow cool info, thanks! My parts should be arriving in a day or two, this is reassuring

Couple question:
1) So you swapped the resistor for the heatsink-looking thing and spliced the wires coming out of it as @TXFRDOwner and I were theorizing to get blower control? Right? Any surprises there?

2) What's this plenum thing, though, why do you cut it, and what relay were you fitting in there?
Is this one of the attempts to get maximum functionality, or would there be no basic functions without that?

Thx

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh an last but not least:

3) Is this a connector or a hole?

2019-09-10 05.16.38.png

MMMM

Reaction score
Couple question:
1) So you swapped the resistor for the heatsink-looking thing and spliced the wires coming out of it as @TXFRDOwner and I were theorizing to get blower control? Right? Any surprises there?

2) What's this plenum thing, though, why do you cut it, and what relay were you fitting in there?
Is this one of the attempts to get maximum functionality, or would there be no basic functions without that?

Here is an image with the resistor removed:

View media item 6906
Here is an image after the Dremel:

View media item 6907
No surprises, but it is a little tight to work in there. On the first go round, I wired everything like the schematics, utilizing any wires already routed. Eventually, after revisiting and rechecking the wiring, I found the harness that connects the blower motor, relay, and other connector(s). It cleaned it up the wiring a little, but it was more for me to confirm wiring.

It's probably best to mount it here, as that is where it is supposed to go. I believe the guy on the F150 forum temporarily left his hanging outside, but it gets really hot. I referred to the new part as a relay, but it is the blower motor speed control (mine took a Motorcraft YH-1829), you need need it for the blower to work unless you hack it someway. Given that this part gets really hot and often burns the wiring and connector, I would wire it properly paying attention to wire size:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/media/screenshot_2019-09-04-15-14-12.6901/full

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It arrived....and I'm confused

20190911_155603.jpg

20190911_154308.jpg

Is this the alleged "wood grain"? I know it's not supposed to be real wood, but this just looks like an uneven, scuffed in places gloss black to me