Why is it so hard to find one with bench???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The kids can all go and get loaded without parents being required to pull a seat handle, slide, then wait for said kid to load, the pull the seat back in place.
There's a little button on the rear door frame that the kids can push which releases the seat and tips it forward. A little nudge from a small child is all that's required to get it to the front. All the parent has to do is push it back into place. As a bonus, I've found I can even reach the car seat straps in the third row without having to climb into the vehicle which is something that can't be said for my Odyssey. (Maybe if I had one of the new ones with the tip and slide seats...)

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a little button on the rear door frame that the kids can push which releases the seat and tips it forward. A little nudge from a small child is all that's required to get it to the front. All the parent has to do is push it back into place. As a bonus, I've found I can even reach the car seat straps in the third row without having to climb into the vehicle which is something that can't be said for my Odyssey. (Maybe if I had one of the new ones with the tip and slide seats...)

I know these are first world problems, lol, but I’d rather NOT have to go to the rear doors at all. With captains seats, my wife and I just get into the vehicle as normal. Also, IF an adult ever has to sit in the 3rd row, it’s kind of claustrophobic with that 2nd row bench covering up 75% of the front vertical view (from floor to ceiling), whereas with second row captains, it feels like an OPEN floor plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy C

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's feedback on captain vs. crew seating arrangement. Haven't bought one yet, so still have time to decide.

We may end up going with what is more readily available out there, which is captains seat. Maybe it will be easier to negotiate with more supply out there.

mwells

Reaction score
I really liked the bench in my 2010 EL, and it kept stuff from coming forward with the third row flat. I could not find a bench in the acceptable colors when I bought my 2014 EL, so now I have to rig something to close the gap. When not loading up for camping, a narrow dog crate sits in the gap. The dog loves it, but I would rather have the bench and the extra seating position. JMO

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wave enough $$$$ under the dealership's nose and they may make exactly what you want magically become available. Remember the Mercury Marauder? Supposedly it was never available in red but I know a wealthy old woman who got what is most likely the only red Marauder ever made. Wouldn't say how much extra that cost her. Would have required either sending the body and other parts down a line currently spraying that color, or stopping whatever color was currently on the Marauder line, flushing everything, shooting the red, then flushing that to return to one of the standard colors. Mercedes did the same a couple years ago for spraying red onto one of their models that was only available in black, silver or white.

Just ask the dealer "How much will it cost me to get the second row bench instead of captain's chairs along with the rest of the fancy luxury package?" A good dealer will make things happen to make a sale. An old friend of the family bought a 1967 Chevy Caprice with 396, Muncie 4 speed with floor shift and bench front seat. A combination that "wasn't available" but he got it anyway by throwing enough money at the dealer.

I'd expect having the seat supplier put leather on a 2nd row bench would be *significantly cheaper* than having an unavailable color sprayed onto the truck.

BTW, what use is the sliding middle part of the bench? Run it forward and its bottom nearly touches the back of the front console. If you need more space just fold it down.

That could be a solution, buy the truck with the rear captains seats then buy a used middle seat and contact one of those places that does aftermarket leather replacement upholstery. "I just need the middle part, not the entire 2nd row." Take it all to an upholstery shop, find one that will also install the midlle seat.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Waving $$$ is beyond what O.P. is after, economies of scale prevail....
I'd be inclined to believe the 3:73 as the best option.

Granted, I'm currently at a Hooter's.................