Why no 5.0 on new Expy’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matticus

Reaction score
Children... if I wanted a dragster I wouldn’t buy a truck. I drive on streets not drag strips.

The 5.0 in the F150 remains available and is a far better platform than the 3.5 or 2.7 tt in its simplicity, reliability and maintenance.

Go on YouTube and search the video of Ford dealer mechanics being interviewed asked which design they would purchase. Almost all except for one voted for the 5.0.

When I first saw that video, it was very apparent that a number of those mechanics were absolutely clueless. Some of them claimed they wanted the v8 for "simplicity" (I think there is room for debate even with that claim) but some of them said they would choose the v8 in the F-150 over the EB "because of towing". I knew right then and there that they had NO idea what they were talking about and/or had never towed with either. Looking at the numbers on paper, what repeated tests have shown on channels like "The Fast Lane", and what my butt-dyno told me the multiple times I pulled a trailer with an EB, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. The EB can happily putter along with 5000-6000lbs on the hitch and almost never need more than 2500 revs to do the job. The 5.0 is going to be regularly visiting the 3500+ territory

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
More to break, little to no fuel savings and the engine is almost $1000 more to produce. Ford is/was trying to kill off the Expedition and push buyers over to the high profit F150. GM supposedly is out selling Ford with full size SUVs and pickups. I blame the ecoboost. GM is selling what people want.

swrmerle

Reaction score
I had a 2015 F150 Supercrew with the 5.0. I had a camper shell on the bed, and was always loaded with about 1,000 pounds of parts and tools that I carried around for work, so any weight difference should be negligible. I now have a 2015 Expedition EL, and don't have to carry any of the stuff around anymore. The 5.0 consistently averaged 18 MPG. The Ecoboost has been closer to 16.5 in the year that I have been driving it.

I don't have any complaints about either, but do prefer the sound of the V8.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d like to be able to drive them back to back and see what’s what. I know the eco boost without the 3.73s isn’t good. Most people say the 5.0 is better in the f150 because it has more useable grunt. The lack of turbos is a boon to future reliability. So I’d probably go with the 5.0 unless I lived at high elevation.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I’d like to be able to drive them back to back and see what’s what. I know the eco boost without the 3.73s isn’t good. Most people say the 5.0 is better in the f150 because it has more useable grunt. The lack of turbos is a boon to future reliability. So I’d probably go with the 5.0 unless I lived at high elevation.
Ford invested and borrowed $1B, to delvelop the EcoBoost. All they got was smaller engine, with similar V8 power. The fuel saving, marginal if any. They recently lost the the lead in truck sales. The V8 can be produced cheaper($1100) and would have a better resale. GM, Dodge and Toyota all use V8 power. The Expedition is marketed to ladies, in the mini van field. GM put a 4cyl in a 1500 and Ford a 4 banger in the Explorer, another stupid move.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.5L Ecoboost is simply the better choice for this application. The Expedition serves the small niche of people who need to carry a lot of people and tow something. The 3.5L ecoboost makes far more torque at lower RPMs. Go watch the TFL F-150 5.0l/3.5l towing comparison videos. The 5.0 is shockingly loud. Maybe that's ok in a pickup truck, but good luck trying to communicate with anyone in the 3rd row. And the 3.5L is lighter, which means more payload/more heavy options. So you can get that giant sunroof and the motorized seat backs to raise and lower the rear seats and you still end up with over a hundred more pounds of payload than the GM products.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If was never gonna tow with my Expedition then I would absolutely consider the 5.0 if it was available,just for the sound and crisp throttle response. But after owning one with the 3.5 EB (against my will at the time) and towing my classic car effortlessly in the mountains, it became a no-brainer for me. Sound is nice but brute pulling power at low rpm’s is what I prefer in a truck especially when towing. It opened my eyes. I no longer call it the little engine that could. I call it the little engine that definitely can.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only problem I could see having towing with an EcoBoost is possibly forgetting you are actually towing something. Mine with the 3.73 gears has really been that effortless while towing. It truly amazes me.